Name these berries

weekender21

The doe I shot this morning was full of these. Elderberry? Poke?

add342e9656047960a38811291888017.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut them open, get a magnifying glass and count the seed. Elderberry will have 3 to 5 seed inside. Poke berries will have approximately 10 glossy black seed that are lens shaped. I passed by poke hanging heavy with berries today.

Maybe Black cherries??
My deer hammer those.
I've had deer eating them under my tree in pitch dark. The only reason I knew there were deer under me was the sound of the pit being crunched by deer teeth.

Maybe Black cherries??
My deer hammer those.
I've had deer eating them under my tree in pitch dark. The only reason I knew there were deer under me was the sound of the pit being crunched by deer teeth.

Good possibility Tap. And if it is Black Cherry, it should have one single, smooth stone inside.

Good possibility Tap. And if it is Black Cherry, it should have one single, smooth stone inside.
Pics can be deceiving but it kinda looks like cherry to me, but it also looks a little like poke.
We have a few other dark colored berries growing around here.
Cherry is one of our most dependable mast producers. Seems like every chery tree makes cherries every year.

Congrats on harvesting a doe. Fresh tenderloins with salt, onions, and lemon pepper seasoning. 1/4" sliced, 30 seconds on a side, n't overdo them or they get togh as rubber.

Back