My spring food plot plans

Where I'm planting it, there is no ag, only pines and oaks, and not a whole lot of low browse, although they cut timber two years in a row so that's improving. The plots I have planned are two new ones so I can't hurt anything trying buckwheat. This is a small lease (350+- ac.) and the only places we can till are the openings where planted pines did not take. Deer density is medium to low IMO, as we all (4) see basically the same bucks on cameras. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.
If your deer eat buckwheat that's a good thing! What's great about buckwheat is that it will grow on poor soil, is easily digestible, releases the phosphorus in the soil, and the forage will yield 15-20% crude protein right before it flowers, which is better than red clover. It will be on my short list of things to plant this spring. BTW, if someone is into growing high protein plots, check out ladino clover, at 25-28% it's one of the best continuously producing top 5 crude protein food plot species out there.

Last edited:
I’ve been planting buckwheat on any new food plots that I put in and I’ve been having good results. I have pretty poor soils at my place so the buckwheat kick starts everything before I put in something that’s a little more demanding on the soil and my wallet.

Before implementing the buckwheat into my new plots I would try and lime and fertilize to needs, but my first year would always be a dud regardless of what I did. Depending on the year I can get two if not three plantings in and add a lot of green manure to the soils. Plant early May...disk in mid to late June or after flowered...disk in again late July or early August after flowered again...then I’ll disk in again right before my fall plantings. Works wonders for building up some good organic into the soil.

Lots of good qualities to buckwheat that people seem to look past IME.

Last edited:
I’ve been planting buckwheat on any new food plots that I put in and I’ve been having good results. I have pretty poor soils at my place so the buckwheat kick starts everything before I put in something that’s a little more demanding on the soil and my wallet.

Before implementing the buckwheat into my new plots I would try and lime and fertilize to needs, but my first year would always be a dud regardless of what I did. Depending on the year I can get two if not three plantings in and add a lot of green manure to the soils. Plant early May...disk in mid to late June or after flowered...disk in again late July or early August after flowered again...then I’ll disk in again right before my fall plantings. Works wonders for building up some good organic into the soil.

Lots of good qualities to buckwheat that people seem to look past IME.
Are you adding more seed each discing or relying on the seed BW produces?

Are you adding more seed each discing or relying on the seed BW produces?
It depends on what each field yields.

Usually I only have to add seed at the second discing but it’s all dependent upon the weather. Normally I don’t add any seed at all. That’s another good quality of buckwheat is how easily it germinates.

Seeing as how I'm a self confessed buckwheat ignoramus, I have another question. What does soil temp need to be for optimal germination and would it be a benefit to plant some oats with it ? That's two questions ain't it ?:)

Seeing as how I'm a self confessed buckwheat ignoramus, I have another question. What does soil temp need to be for optimal germination and would it be a benefit to plant some oats with it ? That's two questions ain't it ?:)
Plant after last frost date. I’ve planted it solo and with Sunn Hemp. There are other options too like ICP and maybe others depending on what your goal is for the crop

Here is a pretty good link talking all about buckwheat. Here in the Northeast I typically plant around mid to late May and just keep an eye for potential frost as that’s buckwheats biggest enemy.

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/bjorkman/lab/buck/main.php

Back