Mock scrape????

2zwudz

Has anyone taken a limb from a tree and secured it to another/different tree and made a licking branch for a mock scrape??? Any luck with that???

I've had some success with making scrapes, but then I question myself if it really was me, or if the scrape was a success just because of the location where it was made?
If you take a scent free digging tool, and make a scrape under a branch in a spot where there's usually a scrape every year, you can hardly fail, a buck is almost guaranteed to come along and doctor it up for you.
Conversely, if you cut a licking branch that's already being used, and go somewhere else and make the perfect scrape, but in the wrong area, it probably won't get touched.

Reactions: Tap
I’ve certainly had mock scrapes work, but this year I made a mock scrape and the deer made their own scrape about 10 feet away from it, and don’t touch the mock scrape.
A mock scrape made in a bad location won’t work. Put it along a trail and it should work

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I make so many scrapes and licking branches the deer go absolutely nuts trying to cover them all. Very worthwhile just need to be in the right spots

Yes it works great. There are some excellent youtube videos out there that show how to make them. I have one that is used every year. In late September I scrape the dirt under the branch with a shovel and take a pee in it. I had a doe hit it this year within 3 hours, a record for me :) Every deer on the place hits this stick, which is a white oak branch hanging from an elm tree.
My favorite thing about it is that I have a game camera on video right by it and get perfect recordings at the same angle and distance every time. Minimizes guessing on size/age and the movement when they rub on the stick allows you to see the rack from multiple angles. The scrape area should be level but if the ground slants a little behind it, it's perfect. I put my camera on the slightly higher side as the deer really don't seem to like working the branch with their back feet even a little higher. That way they are almost always looking in the direction of the camera.
As stated above, put it right in a deer trail.

Yes it works great. There are some excellent youtube videos out there that show how to make them. I have one that is used every year. In late September I scrape the dirt under the branch with a shovel and take a pee in it. I had a doe hit it this year within 3 hours, a record for me :) Every deer on the place hits this stick, which is a white oak branch hanging from an elm tree.
My favorite thing about it is that I have a game camera on video right by it and get perfect recordings at the same angle and distance every time. Minimizes guessing on size/age and the movement when they rub on the stick allows you to see the rack from multiple angles. The scrape area should be level but if the ground slants a little behind it, it's perfect. I put my camera on the slightly higher side as the deer really don't seem to like working the branch with their back feet even a little higher. That way they are almost always looking in the direction of the camera.
As stated above, put it right in a deer trail.
What is your method of securing your branch to another tree???
Thanks
Mark

Last edited:
I use parachute cord but this year I added wire to stiffen it so it wouldn't blow in the wind as much. It's hangs vertical from a horizontal limb that goes across the trail.

The best results I have had are using a fresh cut grape vine and some 550 cord. The vine contains sap and that draws the interest of the deer. the deer then take over from there. The biggest thing I found is that as little as 10 feet can make a difference in location. I make far more than ever get used....I have found it better to make mental notes of where scrapes form from year to year as they typically show up in the same areas for a reason.... Scrapes along field edges and the like hold little interest for me. I want to find the ones in the woods...and a string of them is even better.

What is your method of securing your branch to another tree???
Thanks
Mark

Myself I cut a sapling about 3 to 4 inch diameter. Same size as a fence post. With a good sturdy side branch to lop off about 2 ft long. I zip tie 4-6 small branches to the “stem”. Make sure to get it down in the ground a good 2 ft for sturdiness. If using a tree then disregard that. Make a scrape under it and start the scrape with urine. Deer hit these almost immediately. Once started every deer will eventually hit them. I use them properly placed for a good shot.
4FC6591F-FF88-4443-8F3B-BC6EBC43A885.jpeg

Myself I cut a sapling about 3 to 4 inch diameter. Same size as a fence post. With a good sturdy side branch to lop off about 2 ft long. I zip tie 4-6 small branches to the “stem”. Make sure to get it down in the ground a good 2 ft for sturdiness. If using a tree then disregard that. Make a scrape under it and start the scrape with urine. Deer hit these almost immediately. Once started every deer will eventually hit them. I use them properly placed for a good shot.
View attachment 20466

I wonder if you find a good spot like the one in your food plot if a guy couldn’t sink a permanent post in the ground and leave it year round???

I put at least 1 and usually 2 in each plot. They are definitely there year round. They seem to last about 3 years before they just break although some get snapped off by over enthusiastic bucks. Then I just replace I add new fresh branches every year. I don’t remove old ones. That is important.

I would recommend a book. Whitetail deer management and habitat improvement by Steve Bartylla. To learn more about this and other subjects. some on this forum have contributed ideas and reviews for this book He is the one that started me on these mock scrape trees To be honest I never imagined how well they work As always, individual results may vary. Lol.

Back