Making Snowshoes (sort of)

Ron Kulas

Ive wanted to learn to make snowshoes for some time but never got around to it. Before I set out to make actual sized and wearable snowshoes I started by making half scale versions to learn the process. Here is the process I used as I learn about steam bending wood. Im using oak since Ash is hard to come by here. I shaped and thined the oak stick in the areas where the bends are otherwise it will break and I have broken many until I got a pattern that works.

step1_zps7c4ba2fc.jpg

The form I made.

step2_zps20651bad.jpg

The high tech steam creator (since one cant buy steam, premade)

step3_zps80fc0fbb.jpg

The steam chamber is PVC

step4_zps8a39a7b6.jpg

After a hour of steam It can be coaxed around the form.

step5_zpsed43422d.jpg

and the nose bent

step6_zps45df2db3.jpg

After a day or two its dry enough to hold the shape and crossbars are added and its sanded because the steam raises hell with the wood

shoe1_zps105d4176.jpg

Then I lace the heel and toe with deer skin and varnish everything.

step8_zpsfe447f59.jpg

Since the prototypes are half scale and cant be worn and I didnt want to waste the effort so I turned them into art pieces. The first batch will have deerskin leather centers with artwork. I had a lot of tanned deer and elk hides and this seemed like a good use for them

wbhshoe_zpsecefafcf.jpg

wbhshoe2_zps82412e16.jpg

step93_zpsf57cacf3.jpg

Again, these are half scale.

shoe7_zpsaed7d8ea.jpg

Then I thought, since this is the 21st century I should make electric snowshoes so I bought a small light and cord set and fashioned up a lamp but I wanted a lamp that I could customize or change with the seasons. For the lampshade I printed oak and birch skin on legal sized paper on my printer. For the frame I steam bent small strips of oak.

lamp1_zpsd2367bbd.jpg

lamp91_zps4a2f1c10.jpg

Then I thought about adding a background that appears only when the light is on. (with oak)

lamp2_zps8af4578b.jpg

Then birch

lamp4_zps9dc90be2.jpg

Then I went kind of nuts because its easy to change the skins.

lamp5_zpsa2b731bb.jpg

lamp6_zpseb1fe267.jpg

The sky is the limit for options in regards to silhouettes but then I had another thought on how to customize behind the bark only when the light is on.

lamp91_zps4a2f1c10.jpg

lamp7_zps14d557df.jpg

Then I went kind of nuts.

lamp8_zpscd9441a5.jpg

lamp9_zpsef9faeb5.jpg

Now Im thinking 2 snowshoes side by side to create a shelf or other ideas for how to use these half sized shoes.
Each time I cut a piece of wood to make a snowshoe I have a piece of drop/scrap that I had been setting aside. Then I had a thought and placed the drop in the steamer box with the snowshoe wood and bent that piece of drop around a 25 pound plate from my weight set to form a wooden hoop. Since I am filling the center section of some of the snowshoes with leather and artwork I ink onto the leather (like this)

2snowshoes1_zpsqcxbvtb2.jpg

I thought, why not cut some tanned deerskin leather into circles and lace them onto the wooden hoops. So I did.

elkbuglehoop_zpsgerrggnw.jpg

7hoops_zpsqqasaafp.jpg

wolfhowlhoop_zpshhvgxoya.jpg

bearcubhoop_zpsvenahs6x.jpg

redfoxhoop_zpsyi7qcvjv.jpg

buckbirchhoop_zpsz2twkizv.jpg

eagleshoop_zpshx68vcgc.jpg

Last edited:
You are quite the craftsman. That's some very professional looking work. Who is doing the artwork on the deerskin for you?

Are you retired? You could come out of retirement to make and sell those if you are. Those are beautiful.

Eugene

Are you retired? You could come out of retirement to make and sell those if you are. Those are beautiful.

Eugene

No, I started a bowhunting products company in 2015 along with my existing full time job so Im working 16 hour days, 7 days a week now. I don't have time for these pleasures at this time. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks. I came up with a way to ink animal skins for these items and the leather chopper mitts I sew that I dont share. I hope you understand.

Wow, you’re multi talented! I ordered one of your stay sharp kids for my Iron Will BH’s a few weeks ago. Cool product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back