Itasca Plugs

JDunham

Received 500 4A Norway Spruce plugs from Itasca and was able to get them all in the ground before all the rain we are getting today. I have ordered from them before but they are under new ownership this year and I know others as well as myself were curious how it would work out under new management. I figured I would post a brief report for reference material in the future.
They no longer ship in the styrofoam blocks which I was concerned about. One because I was afraid they would not retain their plug shape once they were removed from the styrofoam blocks and bundled together for shipping. I have a planting tool which I bought last year and makes them extremely easy to plant but requires they are in the shape of a plug. This a big reason for my going with the plugs, ease of planting. I am happy to report that they arrived fine and retained their shape and were just as easy to plant as last year. My second concern was that they will only keep for a limited time before you have to get them in the ground. You could keep them a long time when they were shipped in the styrofoam blocks with regular watering.They arrived well watered in the bundles and in very good shape. They kept for a few days but I would want them in the ground pretty soon after receiving them. The trees were about 1/3 larger this year and looked very good, anxious to see how they fair.

I bought it from Itasca last year. I didn't see them listed under the new management but I wasn't looking for it either, they still may sell them. Basically a punch with a step bar. You step on it and punch a hole just a tad bigger than the plug, you then drop the tree plug in the hole. It is made specifically for 4A plugs. About as easy as it gets. I think I have seen them at forestry supplies also.
It would be easy enough to make your own if you had any of those skills. I am not that guy. :D

I bought 600 of the 10 size. Looking at your 4a's you got the better deal. I thought they accidently shipped me 4a's they where so small. The old 77's where triple the size. On the plus side they are the healthiest plugs i've ever had from Itasca. Nice and green, no needles falling off everywhere charlie brown trees like I experienced in years past.

So the tree requires no other pressure or dirt being placed around it? J
You just drop it in the hole made by that tool?

Ideally it will be an inch or two below the soil line and you push a bit of dirt over the top of the plug. I drop them in and push the edge of the hole with my finger and pinch an inch or two of dirt on top of the plug. Sometimes I just step next to the seedling and that puts a small bit of dirt over the top of the plug. I have just dropped them in on hard soil where the dirt was too hard and walked away. They grow either way.

Excellent. Looks like an efficient way to plant. I hope your deer are kinder to yours than they were to mine. I planted 100 a few years back and they ate every single one.

Excellent. Looks like an efficient way to plant. I hope your deer are kinder to yours than they were to mine. I planted 100 a few years back and they ate every single one.

I never had a problem with deer bothering them until you guys mentioned it. :rolleyes:This February they did pull a few of last years out of the ground, they just drop them next to the hole. Weird. I would plant extra to compensate for what you may lose. Overall I have had pretty good luck with them.

I believe that water builds up under the plugs and causes tremendous pressure. The shape of the plugs makes it easy for the water to push them right out of the hole.

I believe that water builds up under the plugs and causes tremendous pressure. The shape of the plugs makes it easy for the water to push them right out of the hole.

I definitely have seen some heaving issues with plugs, but the ones the deer have pulled are dropped a ways from the hole. I have had more issues with the heaving and deer bothering them in fields and field edges where there seems to be heavy deer traffic. I have gone back to bare root 3/0 trees for these situations. Where I am creating thermal cover in woods areas that have been hinge cut, etc.. I have seen no heaving or deer bothering them and the plugs look awesome after a year. My experience for what it is worth.

Back