Hard Frost April 20th forecasted....

OkieKubota

Staff member
It’s gonna be cold Tuesday night...26 hard frost forecast. Wonder how hard this is gonna hit the oaks and fruit trees?

972099a27a2a3fb0ac10a8c3bdba0b8b.jpg

Most of my fruit trees have been bloomed for a while and they are on top of the hill so that cold/frost runs down past them. Hopeful it doesn't hammer them too hard. The acorn crop is pretty important to you. I hope it isn't a bust for ya this hr.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Have you guys had any luck putting plastic over smaller fruit trees? We have several apple trees loaded with blooms and I’d like to get some apples off them this year. They go from 5’ to 10’ or so.

Never tried plastic or insulation. My experience has been that a frost after pedal fall or after the bloom has set for a week or so is that it doesn't necessarily mean a crop failure. My trees have been tougher than I thought they would be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s gonna be cold Tuesday night...26 hard frost forecast. Wonder how hard this is gonna hit the oaks and fruit trees?

972099a27a2a3fb0ac10a8c3bdba0b8b.jpg

That’s right in the range where it can go either way. As catscratch mentioned, the elevation makes a big difference. The frost pockets are likely to get hit pretty bad.

Have you guys had any luck putting plastic over smaller fruit trees? We have several apple trees loaded with blooms and I’d like to get some apples off them this year. They go from 5’ to 10’ or so.

Never done it on fruit trees but have seen people do it on garden plants. It does work. Since your trees are small, I would give it a shot.

do like some of the orchards do and get water on them in the evening before dark.

do like some of the orchards do and get water on them in the evening before dark.
I grew up with orchards and we always watered them with a spray gun, in the morning before the suns hit the frost, with good success. Sometimes there'd be drops of ice hanging from the leaves,, it still worked. This also works for strawberries too, just need a watering can and and get up at 5 am.

We’ve had couple freezes and snow last couple weeks intermixed warm temps. Luckily I think my pears have survived. Apples haven’t bloomed yet. Another round of cold and snow tomorrow and Thurs. At the house I have sprayed water on apple blooms at evening before a freeze to protect in a freeze. No way to do that at farm. Been a rough winter and spring here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 yesterday...33 right now but was forecasted to be 41 so we are a lot colder than the forecast...snowing but is supposed to clear out and be low 20’s tonight. Pic of first pear bulbs on our place up here...

f74159a27e2a09b15ee2b5a1c757aecc.jpg

25cf7bdf30672fe2f27e737201938a4c.jpg

afc32efb2f96e7ab235b59057bc66c13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it was just as bad as expected...snow ended around 3...skies cleared up and wind dropped to zero and the cold started setting in. 32 degrees at 10 pm, 25 by 1 am till 7 am, heavy frost. Not good...

Back