Grafting pecan to hickory

I've never tried though supposedly you can do it, but tree won't thrive as well as pecan on pecan rootstock. At least that what I understand maybe someone will chime in that has done it.

Definitely will work but the long term problem is the pecan ends up out growing the slower growing hickory. So it ends up outgrowing its rootstock. Longevity is the main issue. Worth a try though.

So I take it then I should attempt it with a fairly good size hickory then? Say Coke can or a little bigger?

Definitely will work but the long term problem is the pecan ends up out growing the slower growing hickory. So it ends up outgrowing its rootstock. Longevity is the main issue. Worth a try though.
+1
But it does work.

Agreed! Still worth a shot though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been wondering about this as well. I have never grafted a tree yet, but I do have some supplies, (grafting knife, tape, etc) and have been trying to learn on the internet. I have tons of hickory on my farm but no pecan as far as I know. I would like to have some pecan. Maybe this would be a good way to get my feet wet and not ruin some of the native male persimmon that I had planned on grafting.

I have been wondering about this as well. I have never grafted a tree yet, but I do have some supplies, (grafting knife, tape, etc) and have been trying to learn on the internet. I have tons of hickory on my farm but no pecan as far as I know. I would like to have some pecan. Maybe this would be a good way to get my feet wet and not ruin some of the native male persimmon that I had planned on grafting.

Graft your persimmons also. Don't worry about a graft not taking because if it doesn't you can do it again the next year. Won't kill the tree.

Bark grafting is the easiest graft of all.

Back