First tree stands

I killed my first bow buck in 1979 from a home made ladder stand made out of 10' 2x4s with a plywood platform on top. Had it NAILED to a red oak that forked about butt high ( standing up ) and had a short 2x6 nailed into a fork. That made a good place to sit in a half standing position about like a pedestal seat on a bass boat. I was very lucky to find that tree in a good spot ! Only got to hunt that property for one season and that was the only deer I took there. After that, I had a welder build a climbing stand ( must have weighed 30 lb. ) and I would tote it to the tree and then go back for my other stuff. Those were not the good old days !:D

Hello everyone, first post but it had to do with an older style stand, or so I believe. I had recently bought some property and when I was exploring the back woods I came across a tree stand that looked like it hasn't been used in years, and by the way it was set up it was probably a good thing. I strapped up and went up the tree to get it down. The bones were in good shape minus the original finish fixing off, which I'm in the process of brushing and reapplying a finish. My question is, I have little experience with stands and haven't seen one like this one. It's pretty basic. The only sticker on their was a warning sticker for Lakeshore Products in Quincy, MI. It said to call if the manual was lost, so I called with no answer. Then when I look the company up it brings up a company that makes boating dicks and lift equipment. Had anyone come across a stand like this or heard of the company? I want to track down some info or possibly a manual on it for my records. Or let me know if the thing looks like a death trap that I should ditch! Any information would be amazing. I've attached a Google drive Link with multiple pics, let me know if that works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W2FTsEq2NiDwvdL79

I can't see your pic, but if it's a hang on, I would certainly look it over very carefully to make sure of the integrity of any fasteners. Restore and repair it, then test it at a safe height (like just enough off the ground to allow it to fail if it's going to) before using it. Be careful and good luck !

I believe that it is a hang on and the whole contraption is metal see nothing is worn too bad, just replaced some hardware and greased up the connections after reconnecting. I'll definitely set it up somewhere low and see how it does thanks! Sorry about the photos I've never done a forum style post before didn't know what would work the best.

I believe that it is a hang on and the whole contraption is metal see nothing is worn too bad, just replaced some hardware and greased up the connections after reconnecting. I'll definitely set it up somewhere low and see how it does thanks! Sorry about the photos I've never done a forum style post before didn't know what would work the best.
It’s an old climbing stand...

It is a climber? I've only seen them with the cable. I've never came across a climber with that serated metal hanger on the back. That's why I wantwa sure what time it was. I don't know about using this thing as a climber haha.

In 1980 I purchased a "Fox Squirrel" climber stand at Hunts Sporting Goods in Hendersonville, TN. It used a metal band around the tree that was about 2 inches wide. It made you a tree hugger. Never liked huggin a tree so I purchased a hand climber top piece made by Amacher. It worked on smaller trees - not anything as broad as your shoulders.

Go back to the late 1960s I was still a young teenage deer hunter and in Jackson County, TN a man hit the woods with the first tree climber anyone had ever seen. It packed it on his back. I never saw the stand but I remember all the laughing and ugly things redneck deer hunters said about it. It was worse because he was from a northern state with an accent to boot. I never purchased a Baker but it was the most popular climber back then.

My first good climber was an aluminum Deer Hunter stand made in North Carolina I believe. It was a two piece and stable on a tree with plenty of room and a top rail on the top section.

Only a fool gets off the ground without a quality safety belt. I am 65 years old and I can't take a fall. I don't actually remember at what age I was wise enough to figure that out.

In Tennessee most stands were scrap wood from a saw mill nailed to a tree for the first half of my hunting career. I never went up a tree in one of those stands unless I had built it. When you see blue circles around nail heads - that is the only warning the Lord gives us.

Wayne

Mercy me, does this bring back memories. Somewhere around 1971 or 72 one of my buddies took a Baker stand and drew out a plan on paper. We couldn't afford a store bought stand so we made our own Baker's in ag shop at high school. Thought we owned the woods with those things. Back then you could climb 10 ft and have deer walk right under you. Nowadays they seem to bust me from 50 yds away at 20 feet up. We'll prolly all end up hunting on the ground again as deer walk thru the woods looking up these days.

Same precautions go ! If you use it make sure you have a rope tied from the top piece to the bottom piece. Nothing like seeing your bottom piece ratchet down the tree like a runaway bumper jack and you're sitting high and dry !:eek::D Ask me how I know !

Same precautions go ! If you use it make sure you have a rope tied from the top piece to the bottom piece. Nothing like seeing your bottom piece ratchet down the tree like a runaway bumper jack and you're sitting high and dry !:eek::D Ask me how I know !
Been there done that!

Like many, I built a few " ladder stands" using 2x4s and plywood. The first stand that I purchased was a Baker climbing stand. This was probably around 1978 give or take. Looking back, its a wonder that I didnt kill myself . Brings back some good memories !

Last edited:
Hello everyone, first post but it had to do with an older style stand, or so I believe. I had recently bought some property and when I was exploring the back woods I came across a tree stand that looked like it hasn't been used in years, and by the way it was set up it was probably a good thing. I strapped up and went up the tree to get it down. The bones were in good shape minus the original finish fixing off, which I'm in the process of brushing and reapplying a finish. My question is, I have little experience with stands and haven't seen one like this one. It's pretty basic. The only sticker on their was a warning sticker for Lakeshore Products in Quincy, MI. It said to call if the manual was lost, so I called with no answer. Then when I look the company up it brings up a company that makes boating dicks and lift equipment. Had anyone come across a stand like this or heard of the company? I want to track down some info or possibly a manual on it for my records. Or let me know if the thing looks like a death trap that I should ditch! Any information would be amazing. I've attached a Google drive Link with multiple pics, let me know if that works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W2FTsEq2NiDwvdL79
Thats an old style stand for sure. Similar to Baker type and the predator. You can come down a tree REALLY fast in one of those speaking of experience. Tend to release too easily. I'd use it for scrap metal and save yourself a scare. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may just use it to elevate myself a little bit and use it while shooting around in the backyard. No sense in toting this thing around to try and use consistently, plus I don't have much need for a climber right now so I'll look into some hang on stands for the back 40.

I had a homemade Baker style as well.
My first real stand was a Loggy Bayou climber. I still use it as a hang on 25 years latter.

My first stands were all home built platforms attached to 2x4 legs leaned against trees and tied to tree with rope. Had more than one twist and go to the ground while attempting to climb up. Fun times!!

My dad started hunting longbow in early 60's. He always climbed a tree and sat on a limb and had bucks walk underneath with no problem. So I learned the same thing. But then I got the TSS climbing stand in the 1980's with hand climbing strap. I thot life couldn't get any better. But those things you had to get your heel inside a strap and your toes under another. Well the toe end was too close to tree section. I found out you could get down the tree really quick when I went to lock in my toes and dropped the 18 ft down the smooth bark maple. Lesson learned, don't use small smooth bark trees and watch the toes. I was alone atop a mountain in the winter with a 2 hour walk to the road. Never was too smart when had buck fever on my mind.
Second lesson, don't go up icy tree. Same surprise quick drop to ground. How I survived either of those not sure. It still hangs in my garage to remind me to stay safe and relish the tech we have today.
Best stand for caring into backcountry was a Loggy Bayou. Thing weighted almost nothing at 5# and tho a pain to get strapped on a tree, was a very comfortable stand to use. Still have it and will occasionally use it.
My good friend and hunting buddy had a Predator climber, if you remember those. It did the same to him and dropped him 20 feet one day. We were all live testing dummies for todays technology.
Had a loggy bayou, one of the most dangerous stands ever made. If a person stepped on the front edge of the platform after climbing the tree but before the safety webbing strap was strapped around the tree the flat steel strap that loops around the tree could buckle at the sides and throw you down. Those things paralyzed so many hunters the company quit making them.

Had a loggy bayou, one of the most dangerous stands ever made. If a person stepped on the front edge of the platform after climbing the tree but before the safety webbing strap was strapped around the tree the flat steel strap that loops around the tree could buckle at the sides and throw you down. Those things paralyzed so many hunters the company quit making them.
You had to step on the front with one foot and lift the seat with the other, then had to hope the angle was right for the locking pins to engage, or do it over. I never felt unsafe with it. But then again I did lots of stuff back then that makes me wonder how I never got hurt or worse.

Back