Dealing with compacted soil...

Triple C

After finishing a fairly large logging operation on our place this past spring I knew I would have some soil compaction in the north end of our largest field and throughout our hour glass plot. Both areas were used as logging decks with heavy equipment making many, many round trips skidding logs and loading as well. This past weekend I subsoiled both fields after spraying gly 2 weeks ago preparing for fall plots. I was overwhelmed with the compaction in certain areas of our hour glass plot where the skidder made multiple trips over the same area. Weird thing is that this plot is only about an acre in size...maybe a tad more. The upper section has much better soil that is quite loamy and the lower section is more red clay. The area near the bottom that is mostly clay was trampled by the skidder.

I expected compaction but with the decent amount of rain we've had this summer I expected to find the soil moist. Wow! Was I wrong. Even in the bean field in areas where there was very little traffic from logging equipment, I was surprised at how dry the soil was.

The first pic below is a view from the tractor in the bean field looking south. You can see how easily the subsoiler did it's job with very little upheaval of compacted soil. Went through this area very easily.
subsoil bean field.jpg

When I started in the hour glass plot where I knew the compaction would be evident, it was like going through concrete. In addition, it was simply bone dry for the most part. Had to constantly lift and lower the subsoiler to avoid spinning all four wheels on a fairly heavy tractor - Kubota M4800. Here's what the soil looked like.
Sub soil hour glass.jpg

Check out the size of the clumps that were lifted by the subsoiler. Putting heavy equipment on food plots is not a good idea if it can be avoided.
subsoil close up.jpg

Below is a pic of our rainfall to date this year as compared to the last 10 yr avg. As you can see, we've been blessed with ample rain and basically right on target at this date for the 10 yr avg. But...we've had the most prolonged head wave that I can ever recall in all my years. Day after day after day of 90 plus temps and more expected this week. Based on how dry conditions are, we won't plant until late this month and will be patient to wait until we have good moisture in the forecast. Luckily, temps show a nice moderation over the next 15 days with highs in the mid to low 80s and lows dropping down into the mid to low 60s. I've got some work to do to prepare the plot shown in the last 2 pics above prior to planting. Don't think throw and mow would work with this soil. I will wait 2 weeks and disc this plot to break up these clumps and hope some good moisture will help.
rainfall chart.jpg

I was certainly afraid of that and even mentioned it in your land tour thread. I am afraid if they did that on my rock and heavy soil in my plots that I would never be able to bust it back out without a dozen with rippers...perhaps try right after a good rain to see if that makes it easier?

I was certainly afraid of that and even mentioned it in your land tour thread. I am afraid if they did that on my rock and heavy soil in my plots that I would never be able to bust it back out without a dozen with rippers...perhaps try right after a good rain to see if that makes it easier?

Kubota...Hard to believe the pic below is the same plot from back in Nov 2014 when grandson took this buck out of this plot. Planted in Buck Forage Oats and the pic is looking east toward where the heavy compaction occurred that I subsoiled this past weekend.
Hour glass BFO.jpg

Kubota...Hard to believe the pic below is the same plot from back in Nov 2014 when grandson took this buck out of this plot. Planted in Buck Forage Oats and the pic is looking east toward where the heavy compaction occurred that I subsoiled this past weekend.
View attachment 2809

Heavy equipment or frequent vehicle traffic will sure do a number on soil... We moved our driveway over on our place after using it for almost a year and it was sure tough to try and get anything to grow in it. I tried Winter Rye grain and got nothing in the road bed but the seed that fell to the side of the bed grew like gangbusters...I finally got Bermuda to take hold and I augered some holes in it and planted a few pines in it...

As you have seen a good sub-soiler will be your best friend. Most plotters can affect the top 6 to 12" or so but often times the issues lay deeper than that. A hard pan can cause all sorts of root and water issues. I posted a pic of a semi truck in one of my plots from earlier this year in my property tour. That plot got plowed as deep as I could and then seeded to brassica for now and I will have my renting farmer hit it with his sub-soiler in the spring. Skidders are one thing - a loaded semi-truck is another. Loading decks and roads are a very important part of a logging process and we as land owners have to think beyond the logging process and consider the long term impacts and how we can mitigate those to at least some extent.

Looks like you got you some of that southern red clay there 3C!

Something that helps in my area is being able to get the moisture down into the ground and then the freezing and thawing can help to some extent as well. Might be hard to come by down there!!!!

I would think rye grain would germinate after a rain but I might also consider ryegrass. It puts down a tremendous amount of smaller, fibrous roots several feet deep in one growing season. I know it can be tough to kill but it can be killed. A lot of no-till farmers use it as a cover crop.

Once you can get something planted I would plant a good mix of rye and daikin radishes. Gonna take some time but you'll get it back in shape.

Thanks guys. I'll be back at it again this weekend and will run the subsoiler thru it again followed by a 7 shank all purpose plow. Parts of the plot that didn't get any traffic during logging are fine. But as you can see by the pics, about half the plot is like concrete. As for the red clay...we definitely have our share. Will have to rethink my strategy on logging decks in future logging operations. Daikon radishes will definitely be in the mix. Will post up pics in late October and see where we're at.

I wish I had access to a plow or subsoiler. My 1.5 acre field is hard and the tiller will only go down an inch or so..

They sell pelletized Gypsum at Home Depot in my area. Gypsum helps break the bonds between clay particles and will loosen soils. Gypsum and a couple years of discing your compacted plot may help.

Back