Crimson clover life expectancy

jlane35

I’m seeing crimson clover matures in 70-90 days. When Fall planted and it starts growing in the Spring is that when the 70-90 day countdown behinds?

Last edited:
Are you guys planting a CC monoculture? And if so what do you do with it in June? Are you mowing it? Discing it? Crimping it?

I had turnips, radishes and crimson clover. I frost seeded red clover. Then, I'll overseed with oats and a little more crimson this fall. If it looks like grasses are wanting to take over, I'll up the oats or throw some more brassicas in to use up some nitrogen.

Are you guys planting a CC monoculture? And if so what do you do with it in June? Are you mowing it? Discing it? Crimping it?

One of 5 clovers I planted last fall in addition to 3 cereal grains, brassicas and a few others.

This June I’ll either broadcast BW into the mix ~June or terminate and grow BW and maybe sunflowers. I’ll make that call depending on how things look this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had turnips, radishes and crimson clover. I frost seeded red clover. Then, I'll overseed with oats and a little more crimson this fall. If it looks like grasses are wanting to take over, I'll up the oats or throw some more brassicas in to use up some nitrogen.
That's some smart foodplotting, and the smartest part I see is the tradeoff of needing to get into the plot oftener with your seeding, but not needing very much in the way of herbicides and fertilizer.

Cliff Notes version of regenerative Ag/plotting in a practical application

Well stated

bill

My crimson clover is just starting to turn red. How long after this point does it produce seeds? I see you just throw more seed into your plot. I should be able to throw buckwheat seed in with the crimson clover and rye I currently have and get a new crop growing, is that correct?

Crimson is pretty short, like a couple of weeks from maturity to seed. I'm not planting anything into mine until the fall. You may want to mow once you see hard seed so it's not shaded out. With mine, I don't have the chance to mow in the summer, so I just let it go and overseed in the fall. I want to not plant between frost seeding and overseeding in the fall.

Back