Clover variety to add to mix

Bigeight

I have been using the same Perennial Clover recipe for as long as I've been plotting, and have been extremely happy with it. Some have been going on for almost 10 yrs and still look great , and getting a lot of use from the deer. Looking to establish some more smaller plots/strips, and they discontinued one of the varieties I usually add.
I got the recipe from LC back in the day.
Alice white, Jumbo Ladino, and Kopu II, I feel like it has a nice layering system, does good in the Middle of the summer, etc.

Welters stopped selling the Kopu and replaced it with Legacy Clover which doesn't seem to have the same traits.

What would you suggest I go with as another variety in that mix if I cant get the Kopu anymore?? I could just up the rates of the other 2, but don't know if the Kopu II is what is really helping the plots do so well with all of the traits I like??

Thanks

If we mow a fallow field in our area two or three times just right, a white clover known to locals as White Dutch clover comes up. It is an unimpressive smallish clover but the deer seem to be in it as often (considering the smaller amounts of it) as the Ladino/Jumbo Ladino/kopu II/red and crimson clover planted mixtures. Thus from that and to add more diversity I have gone to adding in White Dutch clover to the mix. Note; I still have a bag of kopu II on hand. If I have five types then each goes in at a 1/5 ratio, or 4 a 1/4 ratio etc. Just started using white Dutch last year so it is really just theory as to whether or not it actually helps the stands. note; Seedway had Kopu II for sale in 2017, I haven't seen the 2018 offering yet but will check it when I get a look at a seed list copy.

Likewise deer are regularly seen feeding on wild chicory growing in the shoulders of some roads so that is added to the clover mixes as well and that surely gets eaten very well at different times.

Makes sense to add that to the mix. I don't add Reds to my Perennial clover plots either. That is something that I probably start doing as well to give it more variety, and keep it thick to suppress weeds.

Thanks for the reply:)

I plan on adding some white cloud crimson clover to my mix this year just to give something new a try. Hancock seed describes it as being sweeter and more palatable along with higher protein content. My deer have really taken to the mix I have had for the past couple years so I’d hate to tinker with it but I’m curious.

I checked out White Cloud. I'm gonna try some of it this fall. With a white flower, our honeybees should love it.

I have been using the same Perennial Clover recipe for as long as I've been plotting, and have been extremely happy with it. Some have been going on for almost 10 yrs and still look great , and getting a lot of use from the deer. Looking to establish some more smaller plots/strips, and they discontinued one of the varieties I usually add.
I got the recipe from LC back in the day.
Alice white, Jumbo Ladino, and Kopu II, I feel like it has a nice layering system, does good in the Middle of the summer, etc.

Welters stopped selling the Kopu and replaced it with Legacy Clover which doesn't seem to have the same traits.

What would you suggest I go with as another variety in that mix if I cant get the Kopu anymore?? I could just up the rates of the other 2, but don't know if the Kopu II is what is really helping the plots do so well with all of the traits I like??

Thanks
So I did a little looking and found https://www.ernstseed.com/resources/information-download-center/
They have an extensive catalog and plenty of good information. They have Kopu II for $5 / lb. 5# shipped from Pa to me in Lewiston, Mi is $6. Anything over 9# ships by UPS. Hope that helps.

Back