Can anyone ID this grass?

TX-Aggie

Saw this grass coming up in our Fescue field this past month. It is too early for any Warm season grasses as the fescue was barely in green up (also, none of our pesky Johnson grasses were green/growing yet that I noticed, but this was a southeastern facing slope). This was mid April just outside of Branson, MO. Any ideas?

IMG_2435.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Looks like Elymus virginicus (Virginia Wild Rye). It's a native cool season grass found in MO, even though it is more common in the Eastern US.

Saw this grass coming up in our Fescue field this past month. It is too early for any Warm season grasses as the fescue was barely in green up (also, none of our pesky Johnson grasses were green/growing yet that I noticed, but this was a southeastern facing slope). This was mid April just outside of Branson, MO. Any ideas?

View attachment 21703

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I forgot to mention that VWR is sometimes added to CREP mixes, so that’s one way it has spread in the last few years.

Thanks Okie and Native, it sparked my interest when i found it due to looking like a bunch grass as opposed to the fescue we have all over the place. We do have pockets of Broomsedge Bluestem and what I believe is Little Bluestem on the farm, but we haven't noticed anything like this one anywhere around the hillside this one is located. I'll keep a close eye on it going forward, and hopefully start to see it gain a foothold. I'm excited at the prospects though.

Side Note : A big "thanks" to the Missouri Ag Agents, and seed dealers that talked my grandfather to convert all of his fields from clover/orchardgrass mix to fescue/sericea lespedeza mix. Y'all are awesome...[eye roll]

Thanks Okie and Native, it sparked my interest when i found it due to looking like a bunch grass as opposed to the fescue we have all over the place. We do have pockets of Broomsedge Bluestem and what I believe is Little Bluestem on the farm, but we haven't noticed anything like this one anywhere around the hillside this one is located. I'll keep a close eye on it going forward, and hopefully start to see it gain a foothold. I'm excited at the prospects though.

Side Note : A big "thanks" to the Missouri Ag Agents, and seed dealers that talked my grandfather to convert all of his fields from clover/orchardgrass mix to fescue/sericea lespedeza mix. Y'all are awesome...[eye roll]
The seed head will tell you for sure. I feel it is either VWR or Orchard Grass. They resemble at this stage but the heads are very different.

VWR at my place a couple of days ago:

i1JfVGw.jpg

Back