Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner

Enjoy those grankids while you can lak. When I bought the farm in 2011, Jaden was 7. He will be 17 in December. Some of my favorite memories over the years at the farm were the times I spent with him afield.

We are a little excited about some deer showing up this year. Hopefully the grandsons connect on a nice one this year.

R77DXZ6.jpg

Q03hRjo.jpg

ZmE5s7Z.jpg

RXc2Adr.jpg

Every year my tomato plants take a DIVE about mid July (heat and humidity). Also every year I try to grow some late plants to produce tomatoes on into the Fall. Sometimes it works! Here's hoping that these plants hang on thru hot August and these blooms turn into ripe maters one day. Will be great if I have to pick a bunch of green tomatoes before the first frost.

6m9jrZR.jpg

vBNeNXw.jpg

Cyvz5Tu.jpg

UE7ulWm.jpg

Good to see things coming along Mater Man. Do kinda miss your lake side plantings you once did. Good luck to you and the kids.

WOW, more than a year since an update here. I guess it comes down to either dealing with you guys or trying to keep up with grandkids. The grandKIDs have been winning!!

The Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner are still progressing along. Soon I hope to get a few current pictures to compare with the exact picture spot back when this thread stareted on qdma forum. The most crucial aspect has been the joy the grandkids have in going to the "farm" to hang out and hunt. They try to keep Poppa young and he appreciates every minute of it.

We still have lots of trees, especially Sawtooth, throwing food to the ground. Jack and I grafted pear trees a couple years back and they are doing great

MzpGtET.jpg

tOCRZvt.jpg

wg7UZwc.jpg

As you can see from the Pear tree pictures I spent a few hours mowing this week. Each year I let the food plots mature and go to seed. The turkeys love it and this year I am not buying the normal amount of seed. My plan is call "LowMow" to give the seed bed the opportunity to take off. I plan to throw a good bit of fertilizer in a few areas. I remember one of the first articles I read about foodplots said "if you can only afford seed or fertilizer, go with the fertilizer". When I read that in the 1990s I thought "we will always be able to afford $5 wheat and $8 13-13-13." Well now they are both 13+13.

Gl8vogH.jpg

BLNciNS.jpg

My neighbor bought a brand new Spartan zero turn mower. He wanted to try it out so he took care of a food plot in no time.

myxaf5j.jpg

HMv4LcR.jpg

One issue we will have this year is getting Robert into the shooting blinds. He recently had ACL and MCL surgery on his left knee. He is #4 in the picture below. This is halftime of one of their games. #17 he is throwing with is a 5 star QB headed to Clemson in January. In the first half of this game they had connected 7 times for 85 yards. About two minutes into the second half Robert was blocking for a fellow receiver and something in the crash got his left knee. Surgery at Andrews Sports Medicine and he will be fine.

chxRmKB.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, more than a year since an update here. I guess it comes down to either dealing with you guys or trying to keep up with grandkids. The grandKIDs have been winning!!

The Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner are still progressing along. Soon I hope to get a few current pictures to compare with the exact picture spot back when this thread stareted on qdma forum. The most crucial aspect has been the joy the grandkids have in going to the "farm" to hang out and hunt. They try to keep Poppa young and he appreciates every minute of it.

We still have lots of trees, especially Sawtooth, throwing food to the ground. Jack and I grafted pear trees a couple years back and they are doing great

MzpGtET.jpg

tOCRZvt.jpg

wg7UZwc.jpg

As you can see from the Pear tree pictures I spent a few hours mowing this week. Each year I let the food plots mature and go to seed. The turkeys love it and this year I am not buying the normal amount of seed. My plan is call "LowMow" to give the seed bed the opportunity to take off. I plan to throw a good bit of fertilizer in a few areas. I remember one of the first articles I read about foodplots said "if you can only afford seed or fertilizer, go with the fertilizer". When I read that in the 1990s I thought "we will always be able to afford $5 wheat and $8 13-13-13." Well now they are both 13+13.

Gl8vogH.jpg

BLNciNS.jpg

My neighbor bought a brand new Spartan zero turn mower. He wanted to try it out so he took care of a food plot in no time.

myxaf5j.jpg

HMv4LcR.jpg

One issue we will have this year is getting Robert into the shooting blinds. He recently had ACL and MCL surgery on his left knee. He is #4 in the picture below. This is halftime of one of their games. #17 he is throwing with is a 5 star QB headed to Clemson in January. In the first half of this game they had connected 7 times for 85 yards. About two minutes into the second half Robert was blocking for a fellow receiver and something in the crash got his left knee. Surgery at Andrews Sports Medicine and he will be fine.

chxRmKB.jpg
Sorry to hear about his knee injury, that’s a tough blow for a kiddo in high school. Hopefully getting him out hunting will easy the pain a little bit!

Dang lak. Sorry to hear about the Robert's knee injury. Modern medicine hopefully have him like new! I remember you posting pics of him from years ago when my oldest grandson Jaden, was just old enough to sit in a stand with me. Jaden's now 18. They grow up so fast.

Reason I'm spending as much time as I can with "Lil' Man". He's 7 and our last grandchild. Wish one of the kids would throw another out cause I love me some grandkids!

Glad to see you update!

Back