Barley??

Creek chub

I’m considering planting barley on a couple infertile plots. I’m not concerned with deer browse in these sites but wonder if any has used barley before for soil improvement?

I've not - my neighbor farmer uses it sometimes when he plants alfalfa in the spring.

I imagine its a good scavenger of Nitrogen if thats your plan - and a big root system like winter wheat

With WR costing $22 a bag, the local mill suggested barley. He doesn’t even stock winter rye and says most farmers broadcast barley after corn harvest. I’d be seeding less fertile soil so I’m hoping this may be doable. I’ll probably follow up with buckwheat in the spring

Come on!

It's the most water thrifty of all the cereals. It's also quicker to mature vs oats or wheat, so you can throw and mow fall plantings into it without having to spray or till. The straw has a lower C:N ratio than rye or oats, so if you're concerned about duff, this won't be quite as robust as rye. It broadcast germinates just fine like rye. You can get 2-row or forage barley that has no awns (the hairs on the seed head). Your deer will thank you.

What makes your soil infertile?

Come on!

It's the most water thrifty of all the cereals. It's also quicker to mature vs oats or wheat, so you can throw and mow fall plantings into it without having to spray or till. The straw has a lower C:N ratio than rye or oats, so if you're concerned about duff, this won't be quite as robust as rye. It broadcast germinates just fine like rye. You can get 2-row or forage barley that has no awns (the hairs on the seed head). Your deer will thank you.
My soil is mountain land. The sites I’m looking to sow are roadsides that we’re previously oak covered. Similar sites had a ph of 5
What makes your soil infertile?

Sure, if you can spread it. It doesn't go well through my spreader, especially if it's not 100% bone dry. It'll compact. Some guys will just cut open a corner and carry the bag around spreading it manually.
I spread 8 powdered bags by hand Saturday because it’s cheaper than pelletized. That was a big mistake. I doubt I spread it evenly plus my pocket knife got all gunked up too. Pelletized for me from now on

"plus my pocket knife got all gunked up too."

I gave up on folding knives for any dirty job a couple years ago. Fixed blade for me from now on.

"plus my pocket knife got all gunked up too."

I gave up on folding knives for any dirty job a couple years ago. Fixed blade for me from now on.
Good idea. I’ve gotta a fixed eese but leave it in the truck. Time to start using it instead of letting it collect dust

I spread 8 powdered bags by hand Saturday because it’s cheaper than pelletized. That was a big mistake. I doubt I spread it evenly plus my pocket knife got all gunked up too. Pelletized for me from now on
I still use powdered for 1-2 bag type applications. But anything of any quantity is pell lime for me.

Back