Archery Carpet Backstop

cagantpr

20160801_171247-480x640.jpg I am trying to get something that will last longer than the usual hay bales.

It consists of 2 T posts connected with a deck board with 7 layers of carpet scraps screwed to and hanging from the deck board. To hopefully add some longevity, I capped the carpet stack with a composite roofing Ridge cap from Lowes.
The carpet stops a field tip, but probably not a broad head. It also doesn't self heal, but I don't plan on missing the main target often.

Attachments

• 20160801_171247-480x640.jpg
    20160801_171247-480x640.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
Very nice! I've been trying to decide how to make such a backstop myself. As my 16 year old is starting to bow hunt I'm finding more need for larger backstops! There are many designs on the interweb but I really like yours for simplicity and low costs.

Very nice! I've been trying to decide how to make such a backstop myself. As my 16 year old is starting to bow hunt I'm finding more need for larger backstops! There are many designs on the interweb but I really like yours for simplicity and low costs.
Post some pictures, please if you get one finished.
After a hundred or so shots, I still haven't needed mine except for one clean pass through on my Cabelas target. I may have lost that arrow in the past, but there it was, hung up in the carpet stack.
One complaint I have is that normally I get about 6 inches protruding from this target which ends up piercing the carpets and making it more difficult to remove my arrow.

I needed one this morning. I shoot a few arrows each morning before I head to work. Had a little target panic and jerked it to the right. Thankfully it hit a fence panel I use for a mulch bin.
Have you shot broad heads into the carpet yet ? I usually practice with broad heads.

I have not and don't have a lot of faith that it would stop one. On my first attempt, I used 3 layers and a field tipped arrow passed through. I arrived at 7 layers because that was as much scrap carpet as I had (42 x 42 squares). Some number of layers in between 3 and 7 will stop a field tip. I suppose you could keep adding until you found the number required to stop a broadhead. The type of carpet probably matters as well. The stuff I found seems cheap and thin.

Hmmm.. I like practicing with broad heads. I may have to experiment with some carpet first.

I haven't tried it, but I've read that the horse stall mats at tractor supply make very good arrow stoppers.

Back