Why did this spot in my plot "take off"

Kujo

What's your thoughts...
Before I planted my first plot I took my weed eater and cut out a small circle of bare ground then dumped a bag of apple flavor deer corn out just to check the activity .

View from the stand...
20160908_120129.jpg
Between the deer and turkey they made short work of the corn. so in goes the food plot. as I sat in the stand this morning I noticed a spot where the WR was at least 5" taller , the PTT has larger leafs , the AWP was noticeably farther along, and it was considerably greener. Also had a few stalks of corn growing !

Any theories ?
View from the stand this morning
20161105_085302.jpg
20161105_085704.jpg 20161105_085747.jpg

Had the same thing happen many yrs ago. I asked a old farmer if he knew why and he said that congregating the deer there added fertilizer.

Looks like a places that you see in every cattle pasture where the manure lands. If it's where your corn pile was maybe there are some extra organic fertilizer dropped as mentioned above.

Looks like a places that you see in every cattle pasture where the manure lands. If it's where your corn pile was maybe there are some extra organic fertilizer dropped as mentioned above.
In my cow pasture that's the last blade of grass to get ate... Be interesting to see if that holds true here.

I would say either extra fertilizer OR something about what you dropped there is acting like a natural exclusion cage. I.e. Maybe that spot seems further along because the deer aren't eating it.

I had the same thing happen around some piles of broken peanuts we put out. By the end of the season there was literally an 18" bright green ring of vegetation around each pile in an otherwise ate down field.

A small boost in readily degradable OM brings a huge boost in activity of soil life and concomitant plant growth...that is what you are seeing...along with 'animal impact'. Here....we see a lot of dung beetle activity at bait sites, especially in timber.....these are the large green iridescent types which differ from the medium sized black dung beetle common in pastureland....I believe they can use an bury feed as well as manure but they help keep the feeding site clean. Yes, forage growth is more robust in these areas. Some byproduct feeds used as attractants are high in organic phosphorous which will boost plant growth in low phosphorus soil...or high in non-protein nitrogen which will also boost plant growth. However, animals may reject this forage due to imbalances in fertility or close proximity to fecal/urine material contamination. It takes about 70 days for such areas to 'naturally cleanse' and have clean forage available for animal use...that is provided the soil is active and healthy with lots of life to restore balance to the system.

Back