Tree ID

That is a tulip/yellow poplar. It has very little use from a deers perspective. The wood is very light - makes great fire starting wood, and is a decent timber tree. They grow quickly and typically straight as an arrow. They will get pretty big as well. It is native (at least to Indiana - so I assume IL as well). Its a very light colored wood as well.

Looks like sapsuckers have been drilling that tree? But ya, its a tulip poplar.

State tree of the Bluegrass State.....................

I actually set some of those in my tree planting and in 10 years of growth, some were over 40 feet tall. And none of them died - so now I'm going back and thinning some out where they are competing with oak trees I set. This spring I probably whacked 20 +. I'm leaving the ones that won't compete with oaks and whacking the others.

State tree of the Bluegrass State.....................

I actually set some of those in my tree planting and in 10 years of growth, some were over 40 feet tall. And none of them died - so now I'm going back and thinning some out where they are competing with oak trees I set. This spring I probably whacked 20 +. I'm leaving the ones that won't compete with oaks and whacking the others.
State tree of the Hoosier state as well.....

Thanks guys. I saw that one in the book ,but they said it was confined to the most southern parts of the state. Learn something new every day.

That is a tulip/yellow poplar. It has very little use from a deers perspective. The wood is very light - makes great fire starting wood, and is a decent timber tree. They grow quickly and typically straight as an arrow. They will get pretty big as well. It is native (at least to Indiana - so I assume IL as well). Its a very light colored wood as well.

You are half correct.
Yes it's a yellow poplar and YES it gets a lot of deer use. On many occasions, I've watch deer gorge themselves on the newly fallen leaves.
That's usually happening around the 1st week of November where I hunt in Ohio. Lots of poplar trees in that area.
We've discussed this on a current thread over at Habitat Talk.

You are half correct.
Yes it's a yellow poplar and YES it gets a lot of deer use. On many occasions, I've watch deer gorge themselves on the newly fallen leaves.
That's usually happening around the 1st week of November where I hunt in Ohio. Lots of poplar trees in that area.
We've discussed this on a current thread over at Habitat Talk.
Tap - I have NEVER seen any interest from the deer on my place regarding poplar leaves. I'll check out the other thread. I'll also keep a closer eye on the poplar leaves and see if maybe I have been missing something.

I wasn't sure if it is permitted on this forum to post links to other forums. The thread is about deer avoiding plots...what are they eating?

I wasn't sure if it is permitted on this forum to post links to other forums. The thread is about deer avoiding plots...what are they eating?
I found it - your observations are interesting. I will try to pay attention this year as I have several poplar trees in one area on my place.

I've also seen the freshly fallen leaves eaten but only in one area I hunt that doesn't have much food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back