Too Late for Frost Seeding

Warner32

Alright guys here is a quick dilemma for you... I'm planning on heading down to the farm this weekend for the first time in a while.. I've pretty much missed my chance at Frost seeding any type of clover into my tore up bare brassica plots that I did mix some clover in with last fall..
There is some existing clover but here are the temps for this weekend with rain coming in on Sunday
9bb87fc7679e8b6ae25965356391932a.jpg

Obviously temps are wayyy too high but what's the chances I get germination of some clover if I broadcast anyways on the mostly bare dirt the night before the rain? The soil is already pretty moist... you think lost cause with extremely low germination? I would plan on tilling in summer time but kinda wanted something for turkey season come late April and May ?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I am no expert but that looks like a great time to throw out that clover seed and let that rain do its thing but I am in South Georgia.

I've actually have had better luck overseeding in late March. The ground is a soupy mess of muck from the rains and snows and seeds just suck right in to the soil. I've done all from oats to clovers to WR. I'll be doing my overseeding to freshen perenial clover this weekend with clover and chicory and even alfalfa ( yea I know you can't overseed alfalfa. Shame it hasn't known that the last 4 years;)). Go for it.

I've actually have had better luck overseeding in late March. The ground is a soupy mess of muck from the rains and snows and seeds just suck right in to the soil. I've done all from oats to clovers to WR. I'll be doing my overseeding to freshen perenial clover this weekend with clover and chicory and even alfalfa ( yea I know you can't overseed alfalfa. Shame it hasn't known that the last 4 years;)). Go for it.

Thanks for the info I've never done it before with these conditions but figured it couldn't be too bad right? Haha The mix I was going to spread does have some chicory and alfalfa in it so you can't overseed Alfalfa?? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Mucky ground I think works as well, that rain will splash some mud up over the seeds. If it rains to hard and you are on a slop it may move some seed....I had that happen a little on some throw and grow soybeans. I dont have a good picture but in this one you can see a small area that didn't have any beans in it after the rain

But in general that plot turned out

Clover, chicory Alfalfa all can be frost seeded since the seed normally only needs to be about an eighth to quarter inch in the ground. Problem I've had with alfalfa though is it's hard to frost and reseed. If it's in a field with other grasses and or gets mowed, the ground level gets covered by tree leafs etc. Coming back into reseed this is nearly impossible, time and time again it will start to come up, but won't get more than 3-4 inches and then die out. It has to do with the lack of nitrogen the leafs and compost remove.

I agree. I was always told spring was a great time to plant grass so why not clover. I overseed when I have the chance and have always had success at different times in the spring. Plenty of rain coming in my neck of the woods over the next two months.

Back