tiller question

To all those who use a tiller....what circumstances lead you to choose a tiller for a particular plot?

I am just beginning my time on a farm and trying to learn as much as i can. I understand agronomy is something people can devote their lives to, so i am not naive enough to think i can learn everything. So when you consider discing, tilling, drilling, using a planter, and throw and mow, what circumstances would lead you to use a tiller on a 3 acre plot over the other methods mentioned?

thanks

If the plot you are referencing has never been worked before I would till it do to possible compaction of the soil. You also have to take into consideration of what implements you have available to you and the cost to acquire them. I have a disc but rarely use it as my tiller does what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Why I use a tiller?

I ONLY use a tiller in places where I am planting large seeds in rows (corn and soybeans in my case with a 2 row plate planter). Smaller seeds you can normally throw and mow or simply broadcast before a rain and get decent results.

I initially started out plowing and discing and because I am not a farm boy that was a real treat! It looked terrible, took a lot of time and also sucked a lot of moisture out of the soil. I still have the equipment to do that as I would never break new ground with a tiller - I would use a plow. A plow is simply more rugged for when you find rocks, roots and other unexpected things.....it's also good for real small stumps from saplings as well.

The other thing a tiller does is that it levels the ground much better than a plow and disc......much, much better! No valleys, or multiple passes with a disc or dragging needed - now that may be a skill level thing - and that is fine. You get a great, level seedbed in one pass and as deep or shallow as reasonable. Also very good for working in organic matter, fertilizer and lime.

When I got started into plotting I couldn't spend the money on a tiller to use it one weekend a year. I was given a 2 bottom plow and a six foot disc and that is what I used.....we plotters tend to do that, we use what we have and find a way to make it work for us.

Why I use a tiller?

I ONLY use a tiller in places where I am planting large seeds in rows (corn and soybeans in my case with a 2 row plate planter). Smaller seeds you can normally throw and mow or simply broadcast before a rain and get decent results.

I initially started out plowing and discing and because I am not a farm boy that was a real treat! It looked terrible, took a lot of time and also sucked a lot of moisture out of the soil. I still have the equipment to do that as I would never break new ground with a tiller - I would use a plow. A plow is simply more rugged for when you find rocks, roots and other unexpected things.....it's also good for real small stumps from saplings as well.

The other thing a tiller does is that it levels the ground much better than a plow and disc......much, much better! No valleys, or multiple passes with a disc or dragging needed - now that may be a skill level thing - and that is fine. You get a great, level seedbed in one pass and as deep or shallow as reasonable. Also very good for working in organic matter, fertilizer and lime.

When I got started into plotting I couldn't spend the money on a tiller to use it one weekend a year. I was given a 2 bottom plow and a six foot disc and that is what I used.....we plotters tend to do that, we use what we have and find a way to make it work for us.
thanks!

question, does tilling also reduce soil moisture? seems to me it would.

david

I don't till because our rock farm makes it impractical. We use a heavy disc and a spring loaded chisel plow. We have rocks like icebergs--look small on the surface but are too big to be moved with a tractor. We are still working on getting ph in a number of plots. That means working lime in. Also, when following up corn, I have to disc in the brush hogged stalks. I've played around with throw and grow. While I've gotten decent germination, the failure to work in fertilizer has impacted forage growth. Just my .02

I don't till because our rock farm makes it impractical. We use a heavy disc and a spring loaded chisel plow. We have rocks like icebergs--look small on the surface but are too big to be moved with a tractor. We are still working on getting ph in a number of plots. That means working lime in. Also, when following up corn, I have to disc in the brush hogged stalks. I've played around with throw and grow. While I've gotten decent germination, the failure to work in fertilizer has impacted forage growth. Just my .02
Have you considered using a D5 dozer with a ripper on the back to bust loose those rocks and bring them to the surface?

thanks!

question, does tilling also reduce soil moisture? seems to me it would.

david
Not as much as what I saw with my mold board plowing. With plowing I typically had to plow one day, and then disc the next day for best results. I don't have much clay but just the natural soil moisture holds the soil together and as such I would have to wait over night to get the best results with my disc. It would allow the soil to break apart much easier for me and require fewer passes. It is often of function of the soil moisture you start with.

Tilling "churns" the soil but other than the surface layer most of the moisture still stays put. It isn't ideal....like say no-till planting, but in my opinion it's better then my type of plowing.

Now again this is my experience - that doesn't mean your soil and situation will be the same. I have a pretty course soil with very little clay and my plots are old ag fields that have been worked for decades.

Not really. Despite my complaining, we are doing ok. I'll probably never feel comfortable using a tiller or no till drill. We've hauled truck loads of rocks out of the plots---and we have more rocks than ever. As my boys say, you pick up 5 and 7 take there place.

Not as much as what I saw with my mold board plowing. With plowing I typically had to plow one day, and then disc the next day for best results. I don't have much clay but just the natural soil moisture holds the soil together and as such I would have to wait over night to get the best results with my disc. It would allow the soil to break apart much easier for me and require fewer passes. It is often of function of the soil moisture you start with.

Tilling "churns" the soil but other than the surface layer most of the moisture still stays put. It isn't ideal....like say no-till planting, but in my opinion it's better then my type of plowing.

Now again this is my experience - that doesn't mean your soil and situation will be the same. I have a pretty course soil with very little clay and my plots are old ag fields that have been worked for decades.

Thanks j-bird

You headed to Indiana any time soon? :)

Actually I will be in about 6 weeks but I'll be on the Harley. Not sure if tiller would pull well with that.
Farm equipment are like guns. Never sell what you have. Lol.
I have used moldboard plow, disc, and tiller. Personally tiller is the best since so easy do manipulate depth especially if you want to do minimal till tech. Good luck with your purchase and with any, be sure to ck fluid levels and tension of slip clutch even on new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all those who use a tiller....what circumstances lead you to choose a tiller for a particular plot?

I am just beginning my time on a farm and trying to learn as much as i can. I understand agronomy is something people can devote their lives to, so i am not naive enough to think i can learn everything. So when you consider discing, tilling, drilling, using a planter, and throw and mow, what circumstances would lead you to use a tiller on a 3 acre plot over the other methods mentioned?

thanks
If I had no roots or rocks I would use a tiller...my ground is full of roots and rocks so I use a 9 shank spring tooth chisel plow and disk...

Actually I will be in about 6 weeks but I'll be on the Harley. Not sure if tiller would pull well with that.
Farm equipment are like guns. Never sell what you have. Lol.
I have used moldboard plow, disc, and tiller. Personally tiller is the best since so easy do manipulate depth especially if you want to do minimal till tech. Good luck with your purchase and with any, be sure to ck fluid levels and tension of slip clutch even on new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That'd be a site to see the tiller behind the hog! Have a safe ride, and if you need anything in Northern Indiana just let me know.

I bought an off brand from a local dealer last year, a Sundown. It's just under 5 foot and I gave around $1200 for it brand new. I tilled about 5 acres with it last year and had zero issues. My 1984 Deere 750 is barely 20hp so I couldn't go much bigger but I am happy as heck with it. I know there are a lot of ways to plant plots out there and before I could afford a proper tractor, I tried a lot of methods. I just consistently get great plots by tilling a nice seed bed before planting. It works for me and my silty loam soil. I can mow one pass and till the next and have a nice deep seedbed in one pass.

C116B31B-F5BA-4A12-B674-3746DE87D73C.jpg

A6E35FFA-0227-43DD-B01F-4C95CBF43DF0.jpg

Back