Thermal bedding question

Bullwinkle

i planted norways in two fields randomly. The fields are 5-6 and 8-9 acres

I want them for bedding

I planted them a little heavy since I figured I'd lose some. Well we've had great growing season and my losses are really low

I know you don't want them thick but thin enough so grasses grow between the trees

My question is

Should I prune them out evenly or make pockets inside the plantation? If making pockets, how many an acre? Any strategy to the pockets for movement?

Planted 900/acre vs recipe of 600

I've had terrible luck with tree planting but the last two years have been really wet. We can hardly find a dead tree

Easier to take them out vs plant them. I have a few years yet before I will do anything but I have a feeling I'll want to open it up a little

I think I could use my bush hog to do this work so it will not be hard

We have food plot strips through the bedding area already lined out

I am hoping this is a significant improvement to my property. Time will tell

I wouldn't take any out yet. Your deer might decide to start eating them. Are you spraying around your young Norways or letting them go?

I wouldn't take any out yet. Your deer might decide to start eating them. Are you spraying around your young Norways or letting them go?
I sprayed this fall. I agree to wait a few years. We toured them this weekend. I didn't lose many but you're right I need to wait

I bet my bushhog can easily take down 3-4' ers so I have a little time

Yep no harm in leaving them for now. Wouldn't be a bad position to be in if you had to dig a bunch up later when they're dormant and move them, give them away or sell some.

A deer habitat expert told me to plant norway's in a circle and top them once they're 8' tall. When deer are under pressure they will bed inside the circle. Ideally the circle would have a tight perimeter with only an access hole and an escape route.

Still time to lose some. Bucks like to rake the hell out of mine when the are 3-4 feet tall. I like the idea of a thinner stand as well but I have seen some pretty thick stands that seem to hold just as many deer. I plan to just drop some in my Norway bedding areas if I think they are too thick when they get 10-12'. Deer love to bed next to downed pine and spruce in my experience here, should just make my bedding area better.

Back