The gift of pawpaws

KDdid

abefd0068f17651286aefba02da8ac7b.jpg

I was gifted about 20 nice size Pawpaw's today. Has anyone here grown them from seed ? I only have one partially shaded place where I can put them, but I think it's ideally suited for their needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Never planted them.....I have them all over my place but they only produce fruit in one spot....my secrete stash! I also have NEVER seen one on the ground as the coons in particular tend to raid my trees well before they ever mature to the point of falling to the ground. I will warn you if you try to eat one you want that thing to be nearly black! When ripe the inside is similar to a mushy banana and has almost a custard flavor....get one not quite ripe and lets just say you will know!!!! I fruit like you have in your hand will yield 10 seeds or more I bet. The seeds are large (diameter of a nickle but thicker). If you try growing them I will also warn you that the wood is fairly brittle so high winds can easily snap one the diameter of a ball bat right off. Where my grow are in semi-shaded areas with damp but well drained soils. Typically in creek bottoms. They will grow in full sun but for some reason those I get to fruit prefer broken sunlight.

Cool. I have a spot on my east line about 25 yards west of a swamp where they would be in full shade until 12:00. I'd prefer to give them afternoon shade, but that doesn't exist at my place. These come from a deep woods wet hole, and I might just play some at my inlaw's in a similar spot.

I grabbed a few myself yesterday.

PS: They will grow and fruit just fine in full sun. But, young trees need protection from full sun for a few years. A garbage bag taped over the top of the cage in summer will do it.

5mOOmpIh.jpg

I have grown a dozen or so from seed and they are my least favorite to grow.....well maybe a tie with DCO. I wouldn't say they are hard to grow at all, just beyond slow from my observations. Patience. Patience.

Grandpa used to say that "ground was so poor you could't grow paw paws." Have not seen one in years. Thanks for stirring up that memory.

Grandpa used to say that "ground was so poor you could't grow paw paws." Have not seen one in years. Thanks for stirring up that memory.

That revived an old memory for me.

When I was a kid, there was very little wild game of any kind around - including zero deer in our country. My grandpa took me rabbit hunting once, and we walked for hours and didn't kick up a single rabbit. He said, "This ground is so poor it can't even grow a rabbit."

Fast forward to today, and rabbits are so thick they will about run over you. I sat in my blind the other evening and saw 15 deer. When I left in the truck, two more jumped up to my left. When I drove a little further, 3 more were standing in our bean field - so 20 deer.

I wish he could be here to see this. He wasn't a big hunter, but he would have loved to see how things have changed.

Well that spot holds water for too many days in late winter/early spring, then. I just ate a very ripe one, and oh, man was it good!
Next question: direct seed, or pot them up and over winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I have grown a dozen or so from seed and they are my least favorite to grow.....well maybe a tie with DCO. I wouldn't say they are hard to grow at all, just beyond slow from my observations. Patience. Patience.
So what was your method for planting- pots? Direct seeding into cages/ tree tubes?

I cold stratified them in my fridge for 3 months, then started them into pots in my basement under lights. As I said, they aren't hard to grow but man they just sit there for weeks and weeks without any sign that they are alive. Once they do grow and the weather is warm enough, they get moved outside and transplanted into 1 gal pots. I grow all summer and overwinter in my garden before transplanting to final location the following spring.

I cold stratified them in my fridge for 3 months, then started them into pots in my basement under lights. As I said, they aren't hard to grow but man they just sit there for weeks and weeks without any sign that they are alive. Once they do grow and the weather is warm enough, they get moved outside and transplanted into 1 gal pots. I grow all summer and overwinter in my garden before transplanting to final location the following spring.
That's what I was seeing online, there is a video from the University of Texas showing that very technique. I already have some seeds in the fridge, and I think I'll throw a few into my nursery bed, along with planting a few directly in the woods. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Back