Sunn Hemp

Ok, well my goal is both food and soil. These subdivision deer don’t have the best nutrients as they have devoured everything and even eat non preferred browse. So I’m sure they will destroy the Sun hemp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, well my goal is both food and soil. These subdivision deer don’t have the best nutrients as they have devoured everything and even eat non preferred browse. So I’m sure they will destroy the Sun hemp.

Don't overlook white dutch clover for your lawn. It takes a lot of chemicals to fight back mother nature's hatred against mono-cultures.

In making a plan for managing a deer herd there's two huge things to consider, our "Return on Investment" of time and money, and "Plugging the Biggest Hole First".
As we consider these two important factors when determining what our management plan is going to look like, in our area of zone 6b we have two big downsides to growing sunn hemp for deer plots; #1, it's a warm season summer crop, the time of year when the deer in our area need supplemental food the least, and, #2, sunn hemp has a very short grazing window, which barely justifies the time, money, and effort to put it out. We'd rather invest in soil builder crops with a long grazing window like ladino clover, a one time planting that feeds deer 9 months out of the year for the next 3-5 years, with only light yearly maintenance needed after the initial planting effort, or double return crops like barley, oats, wheat, and soybeans, that give both forage and grain, or corn, that feeds deer during midwinter when deer food is scarce. We're always looking for more crops like these that give land managers good returns for the hours invested.

Back