Sturgis is spot on, again

Good article. I agree with Jeff to some extent. But i disagree that predators, abundant tags, and brown/down neighbors dont adversely affect my hunting.
But, he never asked my opinion......:D

Luckily or whatever the landowners I am fortunate enough to know are not complainers;they are working on creating their own destinies. Still outside influences do matter. We are low on deer so we shot one deer on six hundred acres in 2016 in an effort to allow the herd to grow;a neighbor shot 7 deer on 17 acres. To think it doesn't matter what that neighbor did is foolish. Sure we will do what we can to limit the neighbors opportunity to mess things up but what they do still matters.

Luckily or whatever the landowners I am fortunate enough to know are not complainers;they are working on creating their own destinies. Still outside influences do matter. We are low on deer so we shot one deer on six hundred acres in 2016 in an effort to allow the herd to grow;a neighbor shot 7 deer on 17 acres. To think it doesn't matter what that neighbor did is foolish. Sure we will do what we can to limit the neighbors opportunity to mess things up but what they do still matters.
If Steves plan has you low pressure, vast majority sanctuary, and provides food water and cover with 600 acres Chainsaw you should be the pace setter in the neighborhood. Sturgis is more of a keep the deer in the center of the property versus Steve's use the terrain. The only question I have had Steve's plan set this neighbor up for success with his design?

I have 1/2 the land you do and wolves to deal with and after 4-5 years the deer will learn where it's safe and where it's not. Once the shots are fired the deer head for my sanctuary. Another good test is when you bump deer on your property line where do they run? Into yours or your neighbors?

I now cherish my brown is down shoot everything neighbors. They are awesome. They shoot does and small deer so I don't have to. I actually like when they tag a 6 ptr, gets them out of the woods. We've got enough bucks to lose a few. The big questions is how come the 17 acres is so attractive and what can you do to limit the damage? All the article says is look in the mirror first before pointing blame

No question 7 deer hurt a low population in the short term. I wouldn't worry about it with the stuff you're doing. Chainsaw will win over time no question in my mind. Another mild winter, you're gonna have a good bump in population I bet

You are right Bull;I probably took Jeff's article too literally. Our property is surpassing those around us in deer sightings hands down--no comparison and almost regardless of what every neighbor does it will continue to. And next year we might be applauding those guys who take a lot of deer per property size because we may be reaching our desired population as early as this coming season.

All property owners do not of course think like we do and even among us our thinking will vary somewhat. They can shoot as many legal deer as they want;that's their prerogative. They certainly don't need to think like me. And I could be off on the kill of 7 also as I'm going by shots heard and making assumptions. The point is that what area neighbors do affects our results and us theirs. Remember Bull, we have 58 straight days of legal gun hunting, some muzzle loader and lots of rifle; That's a long and dangerous time for a young buck to survive considering he would be fair game to many people. Happily as you point out--no wolves yet.

That is a good question which I considered regarding Steve's plan. And the answer is no the plan actually results in deer mostly avoiding the more dangerous bordering properties most of the time. There usually is a day each season though that some mature bucks become very extra stupid and seemingly throw caution out the window.

I think that maybe Jeff was referring mostly to the average hunter and not the kind of people on this forum; all or most of us on this forum and likely other forums are attuned to doing everything possible to help the deer herds on our properties and I'm willing to bet we are in the minority of the hunting population.

I bet most on this forum are like you Chainsaw and having a top parcel in your neighborhood.

it's a real challenge if you have a great neighbor vs a bad one in my opinion. If you have a small parcel surrounded by bad neighbors that's another story -sell

Thanks for posting. It's always helpful to have assumptions challenged. As for the substance, I think, as is usually the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I will offer just one observation for consideration. I don't care how perfect your property is nor how good or bad your neighbors property is, there will be times when many [ most ] bucks go on walkabouts especially in the rut. And these walkabouts can cover a lot of geography . May only last a day. May last days. They may completely shift their territory during the entire rut for reasons that seem to have nothing to do with habitat.

Agree with you baker. 75% (exactly) of the bucks we have killed on our property were deer we don't have pictures of. Only 1 was a deer we had a history with and he was killed after our peak rut by several weeks chasing a late doe.

I run 5/6 cameras from June-February on 119 acres. We have thousands of pictures and usually are able to identify 25-30 different bucks throughout the course of the year. Even with that, 75% have never had their picture taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I agree too Baker

If you have low pressure property and hold a bunch of does I think your chances for this increase as well. Sturgis told me he thought a lot of yearly deer that disperse come back to their birth areas to check for does when they are 4-5 years old. Would make some sense

If your neighbors are laying the smack to all their does, besides passing through, there is no reason for a 4-5 year old to hang out imo

I agree too Baker

If you have low pressure property and hold a bunch of does I think your chances for this increase as well. Sturgis told me he thought a lot of yearly deer that disperse come back to their birth areas to check for does when they are 4-5 years old. Would make some sense

If your neighbors are laying the smack to all their does, besides passing through, there is no reason for a 4-5 year old to hang out imo

Interesting idea that yearlings would come back to birth area during the rut. Possible.

Of course the problem is when your neighbors are laying smack to all the bucks that pass thru as well. And they will. Makes it hard to get bucks into the older age classes. One small landowner wrongly located can screw up a large chunk of territory. The season in La. runs from Oct 1 thru the end of January. Creates a long window for problems.

True Baker. That's why you need to buy in a great neighborhood or own a huge parcel

At the same time, what you do to offset your situation is key to your success.

Some guys point to their neighbors first as the problem. Like the guy on QDM a few years ago complained about lack of deer but couldn't quit shooting every doe he saw. I have neighbors like that and guess what, 40 acres away we have plenty of does. We shot 4 this year all on the property lines. My neighbors something like 30. Some complained about lack of deer. I am not worried a bit about having deer next year.

My biggest risk is a pack of wolves scattering the deer in my sanctuary during the season. They've figured out what I am doing. Nothing I can do about this, just hope the govt opens up season on them again

I killed a wolf in Canada once. They are big rascals. If you get one post pics.

WE live with mountain lions at the ranch. Fairly plentiful. Killed one 100 yds from camp once and got pics of one in the yard last summer Usually not a problem but when they do become a problem the can wreak havoc on a herd .

Good luck

Down my driveway on July 7 at 7:07 am. Caught on a security camera. There were two of them

They make a run through my farm every 3-4 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_6688.JPG
    IMG_6688.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
I get annoyed with DNR bashers too, but I certainly believe my neighbors shooting young bucks have a negative impact on the quality of my hunting.

P.S. I'm glad to see Jeff got someone else to write for him.

Back