Spreading Seed

useyourbow

Going to use a Solo hand spreader to spread clover, chicory, and daikon radish seed. Seed is close to being the same size. Mix together or spread seperately?

I think you could. That's what I use and I'll be planting that exact mix. I'm using WINA Fusion and adding the daikon seed to it. What percentages are you going with ?

I bought the seed on sale after last season.

45% mixed clover
45% chicory
10% daikon radish
Might do some oats as a nurse crop and then some time in late September early October going to over seed with rye.

I bought the seed on sale after last season.

45% mixed clover
45% chicory
10% daikon radish
Might do some oats as a nurse crop and then some time in late September early October going to over seed with rye.

Sounds like a good mix. I've only had daikon radish seeds show up in other seeds by accident, but I noticed the deer ate them to the ground, so I thought I would plant some on purpose this year. I really didn't know what rate to blend at. Thanks !

The radish is at least twice the size of clover. You will probably be fine, but the clover may flow a little heavy if you open the gate wide enough for the radish.

If it was one of the smaller-seeded brassica, like rapeseed or turnip, it would better. How big is the plot and how many pounds of seed?

This is one of the reasons buying pre-mixed seeds can be a challenge. If you set the spreader to broadcast everything evenly, you'd have to be moving really quick to avoid over-seeding the clover. Better to keep different seed sizes separate.

If your distribution of seed is a little lopsided does it make any difference? If you think it does, broadcast seed of dissimilar sizes separately..

I mix the clover and the radish together and then pour into the spreader and never seem to have a problem,

Back