Soil test results thoughts?

I would start dealing with the pH first. Hit the plots with as much pelletized lime as you can afford this year and plant them this Fall with a mix of the cheapest wheat, generic feed oats and any white (Ladino) clover you can get from local feed stores. If you have the $$$ for some fertilizer, add the highest P & K mix available (something like 6-24-24). That should give you usable plots this year, and you can improve on them next year.

I would start dealing with the pH first. Hit the plots with as much pelletized lime as you can afford this year and plant them this Fall with a mix of the cheapest wheat, generic feed oats and any white (Ladino) clover you can get from local feed stores. If you have the $$$ for some fertilizer, add the highest P & K mix available (something like 6-24-24). That should give you usable plots this year, and you can improve on them next year.
This must be newly cleared land, with such a low ph. I agree with semisane, except I wouldn't do pelletized lime because it's too expensive for the amounts that you need. With your low ph it would be ideal to get a lime truck in with a full load and split it evenly over your three fields by acreage. If you can't get a truck in, I'd get a couple tons (they're asking for 1.5 and 2.5 per acre) powdered in bags. I would get started with a small grain as a nurse crop for clover and put about half the fertilizer on that your supplier recommends, plus or minus according to what you can afford. You can grow these crops a little short on fertilizer, and get your organic matter built up, but they won't do well in that low ph.

Last edited:
It is land that is pasture land that has not had anything on it other than grasses for over 40 years. It also is surrounded by pine trees, maybe that is where the low pH is coming from.

I agree with the others - address the soil pH first or as much as you can afford for now. It all starts with the soil pH.

Ag lime, if you can get it applied. Any lime is better than no lime. I'd wait on the clover and do cereal rye.

Back