smoke

Jeff H

I've been using smoke as a scent eliminator (not cover) for a couple years now. I've had really good luck with deer passing downwind of me and not showing any signs of winding me. I have never bought into the idea that smoke is a masking scent that deer in some areas are just used to. I believe that the carbolic acids in hardwood smoke kill the bacteria that causes human odor. I also believe that the smoke residue attaches itself to anything it comes in contact with, like grass and trees much like the human scent does. I don't believe that it totally eliminates human odor but from what I have experienced I believe it kills enough of the odor that it gives me the advantage I'm looking for. Honestly I should go buy an ozone generator but I love to tinker and I'm cheap. For the price of a can of pralines, a cheap plastic fan (1.00) and an old license plate I built a battery operated smoker that fits in my backpack. I take it with me on hunts and try to keep it burning the entire time I'm hunting. I also use it before and after a hunt to smoke my clothing.
One added benefit to using the smoker while hunting is I always know what the wind around me is doing. Who cares what the wind is doing across the field right? It's been a real eye opener to watch the smoke go in 4 different directions in the same morning.
Maybe I'm nuts but I'm a believer so far. Has anyone else used smoke in this way?

I've been using smoke as a scent eliminator (not cover) for a couple years now. I've had really good luck with deer passing downwind of me and not showing any signs of winding me. I have never bought into the idea that smoke is a masking scent that deer in some areas are just used to. I believe that the carbolic acids in hardwood smoke kill the bacteria that causes human odor. I also believe that the smoke residue attaches itself to anything it comes in contact with, like grass and trees much like the human scent does. I don't believe that it totally eliminates human odor but from what I have experienced I believe it kills enough of the odor that it gives me the advantage I'm looking for. Honestly I should go buy an ozone generator but I love to tinker and I'm cheap. For the price of a can of pralines, a cheap plastic fan (1.00) and an old license plate I built a battery operated smoker that fits in my backpack. I take it with me on hunts and try to keep it burning the entire time I'm hunting. I also use it before and after a hunt to smoke my clothing.
One added benefit to using the smoker while hunting is I always know what the wind around me is doing. Who cares what the wind is doing across the field right? It's been a real eye opener to watch the smoke go in 4 different directions in the same morning.
Maybe I'm nuts but I'm a believer so far. Has anyone else used smoke in this way?

tons of guys in Ohio use it. I have a system where I smoke my clothes before and after every hunt. I too have had some good success. I know a lot of boys who have shot some big ol bucks using the smoking method.

IMG_0955.JPG

buckhunter, you should market your smoker that you carry into the woods. I've always thought smoke was a better indicator of wind than powder bottles. (My thermocell works the same way).

buckhunter, you should market your smoker that you carry into the woods. I've always thought smoke was a better indicator of wind than powder bottles. (My thermocell works the same way).

I don't carry mine in that was Jeff. I also do buy mine from a great guy in Ohio at scentsmoker.com

It will never make it mainstream. Because anyone can buy hardwood chips and burn them for cheap. Although I am sure some
Celeb hunters believe in smoke.

So you guys simply smoke your clothes or your actually taking the smoke to the woods? I have heard of guys hanging their clothes near the camp fire to cover up the smell on their hunting clothes, but I'm not sure of the idea of taking the actual smoke to the woods.....if that is what you are doing. It would be interesting to see it move thru the area, but not sure about it.....maybe I'm complicating it in my head.

I don't carry mine in that was Jeff. I also do buy mine from a great guy in Ohio at scentsmoker.com

It will never make it mainstream. Because anyone can buy hardwood chips and burn them for cheap. Although I am sure some
Celeb hunters believe in smoke.
Can't get link to work?

So you guys simply smoke your clothes or your actually taking the smoke to the woods? I have heard of guys hanging their clothes near the camp fire to cover up the smell on their hunting clothes, but I'm not sure of the idea of taking the actual smoke to the woods.....if that is what you are doing. It would be interesting to see it move thru the area, but not sure about it.....maybe I'm complicating it in my head.

That's correct. I have a cabinet where I keep all of my hunting gear. It's in the garage and is approx 8x3x3. I port my smoker through a hole in the door at the bottom and the smoke fills the cabinet.
I also take my smoker to the woods with me. Mine is a metal can inside of another metal can so there is no open flame. I use a small battery operated fan to push air into it to keep the fire burning. I get wood chips (sawdust) by the bucket load at a cabinet shop near my work. If I load it up it will burn for 3-4 hours smoking slowly.
I got the idea from a video I saw on cold smokers used for smoking cheese. You Tube cold smoker and you'll have an idea on where I started.
I'd love to post some more pictures of it but I'm having trouble loading them today.

Can't get link to work?

So I guess he is not longer selling them due to Chinese sending so many duplicates over. If you google scent smoker you will see videos on this topic. I do NOT bring mine in woods. I simply smoke my clothes up heavy. I believe in the hot smoke eliminating bacteria in the clothing. I also get dressed and walk into the smoke several times before heading to the stand.

So I guess he is not longer selling them due to Chinese sending so many duplicates over. If you google scent smoker you will see videos on this topic. I do NOT bring mine in woods. I simply smoke my clothes up heavy. I believe in the hot smoke eliminating bacteria in the clothing. I also get dressed and walk into the smoke several times before heading to the stand.

I bought one from him when he was still in business. It is just a bee smoker like this:
http://www.elmbay.com/honey-keeper-...HlQfKgeERoIXQIFg_jKkNgbRdXABeTtQFUaAnXm8P8HAQ

It works great on my property that is surrounded by houses burning wood. I wouldn't hunt my place without it.

I too use the bee smoker and have had great success with it. But now Im intrigued with the idea of a battery operated smoker you bring with you into the stand - Im gonna be checking that out! thanks - good thread.

I'm one of those guys from Ohio who is a 100% smoker since finding out about the idea.
It works as I don't leave the house without using my bee smoker with hickory or oak chips. Only takes another 10-15 minutes.
The guy who sold them through that link did quit as it interfered with his hunting time. But he still had some available couple weeks ago.

Deer come into my down wind area, stop, throw their head up and smell, then just walk off in the direction they started out in. Was fun when I took the grandkids and I would see a deer headed our way down wind and I would tell the kids what would happen. They thought 'that's neat' as the same thing happen each time.

There's a great forum on theohiooutdoors.com on smoking up.

Well, I broke down and tried using smoke for the first time today. Bought a bee smoker, smoked my clothes/equipment yesterday and stored them in a plastic tote overnight. This morning, I put them on after getting to the hunting area and fired up the smoker and hit them again. Carried the lit smoker down the trail and puffed smoke pretty heavily on several crossings and small bushes. Left the smoker going the entire time in the tree. Seemed to work pretty well, as I had 3 deer directly down wind with no effect. Two walked right up the same entry trail and were not concerned at all. A little 7 pt sniffed one of the trees and walked on as calm as ever. A good mature 3.5 y/o buck didn't even stop and sniff anywhere. I know it's a small sample size, but I can't complain about the results so far.

Drawbacks? Take a little longer to get going pre-hunt. I don't like having to change out at the hunting area, but don't want my truck smelling. Also, you really need to shower afterwards to minimize the smoke smell, especially if your wife has a sensitive nose...

Nice. Sounds like you are on your way. The only bad experience I had was where my smoker was puffing hard and I had a little buck come in from right behind me. He got a face full of smoke at 10 yards and freaked out.

Was changing a card in a trail cam after coming out of the stand last nite. Walked down the trail from the stand - about a hundred yards - was fiddling with the cards when I hear a grunt behind me - a nice 10 pointer that I had watched from the stand earlier and couldnt get him in close enough for a shot - followed me right out of the woods and turned and walked away @ 10 yards! He apparently didnt smell ANY human as I was smoked up ( I didnt use any doe urine or estrus scent either - not sure what he was thinking???)

Back