Sassafras from cuttings?

Tap

A friend wants to start some sassafras on their property. They tried to transplant a few but they died. I think they may have tried to move trees in October that were't dormant yet.
Can sassafras be grown from cuttings?
Can they be transplanted?
Thanks.

A friend wants to start some sassafras on their property. They tried to transplant a few but they died. I think they may have tried to move trees in October that were't dormant yet.
Can sassafras be grown from cuttings?
Can they be transplanted?
Thanks.
I would think they could transplant easily. My folks place is covered in it......if you struggle to find some. Let me know, I might be able to help you out. My dad claims when you cut one 100 show up to the funeral!!!!! I have no idea if it has ANY deer value, but whatever. I do know his place has lots of clay and it seems to like that sort of soil.... My place is a sandy loam type soil and I don;t have ANY of it!

Reactions: Tap
I would think they could transplant easily. My folks place is covered in it......if you struggle to find some. Let me know, I might be able to help you out. My dad claims when you cut one 100 show up to the funeral!!!!! I have no idea if it has ANY deer value, but whatever. I do know his place has lots of clay and it seems to like that sort of soil.... My place is a sandy loam type soil and I don;t have ANY of it!
Thanks. They shouldn't have any trouble finding some locally to transplant. I have a little on my place I could give them.
And it does have decent deer value. They will browse the crap out of mature sassafras when you put it down in the winter and bucks like to rub it, too. IMO, it's good to have preferred scent-marking-species on your property. For instance, Staghorn Sumac is one of them...a patch of sumac around here will be nothing but rubs...it's a very "social" species.

Thanks. They shouldn't have any trouble finding some locally to transplant. I have a little on my place I could give them.
And it does have decent deer value. They will browse the crap out of mature sassafras when you put it down in the winter and bucks like to rub it, too. IMO, it's good to have preferred scent-marking-species on your property. For instance, Staghorn Sumac is one of them...a patch of sumac around here will be nothing but rubs...it's a very "social" species.
Cool.....just willing to help if I could. I have no idea if you can grow it from cuttings.

Reactions: Tap
It makes a good light walking stick. It spreads by popping up off of roots. Common as belly buttons around here. No one collects the root any more ,cancerous properties.

It makes a good light walking stick. It spreads by popping up off of roots. Common as belly buttons around here. No one collects the root any more ,cancerous properties.
Cancerous.....what? I used to dig root for my wife and her grandfather to make sassafras tea with. My folks place is covered in it......I don't have any. Very different soil types.

It's like a noxious weed around here, the seedlings of this mostly useless species choke out good tree seedlings like oaks from starting. I've never seen deer browse or rub it. Beware if you introduce it you may regret it.

Cancerous.....what? I used to dig root for my wife and her grandfather to make sassafras tea with. My folks place is covered in it......I don't have any. Very different soil types.
We still drink sassafrass tea in my family. I've spent time researching it and I believe the safrole cancer causing risks are way overblown. Would encourage anyone who likes but has stopped using it to do their own research into it, you may like me that your fine with the "risk".

Back