Rootstock in bear country

weekender21

I’m planning to graft a few trees this year. Narrowed rootstock down to M111, Antonovka, and B118.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with bears, but I highly recommend avoiding B118. Over half of the trees I have on that rootstock are falling over. Other people at various locations around the country are having the same issue. You probably already know that Antonovka will give you a larger tree than MM111, but fruiting generally takes a few more years to start. Good luck.

PS - I'm piling dirt high around my B118 trees, hoping that they take root above the B118 rootstock. Time will tell if it works, but at least the weight of the extra dirt and bracing are keeping them from falling over right now.

I have no experience with bears, but I highly recommend avoiding B118. Over half of the trees I have on that rootstock are falling over. Other people at various locations around the country are having the same issue. You probably already know that Antonovka will give you a larger tree than MM111, but fruiting generally takes a few more years to start. Good luck.

PS - I'm piling dirt high around my B118 trees, hoping that they take root above the B118 rootstock. Time will tell if it works, but at least the weight of the extra dirt and bracing are keeping them from falling over right now.

Thanks Native, I’m leaning (pun intended) away from B118 due to those reports.

I think in the long run I’ll be happier with big sturdy Antonovka trees and l like the bonus that Antonovka produces a large hardy apple if the graft fails. I may end up grafting a few of each just because I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if worried about bears you need a large strong tree, semi-drawfs & dwarf rootstocks are probably not going to be strong enough fast enough. Set aside fruit production Malus Dolgo, Antonvoka probably good choices of something closer to standard rootstock. I even have some wild apples by me that the bear toppled over at year 5/6....not having fruit in my case in bear country is honestly not a bad thing, as less temptation until the tree can withstand them crawling up or pulling on branches is okay in my book and once they are strong enough and large enough then let the fruit come.

Following this one. I'm installing a 5 strand high tensile electric fence around my orchard soon. I'm in the VA mountains & am covered up w/ bears. They destroy trees super quick but it's more than just the rootstock, they'll snap branches & ruin good trees very quickly.

Went back & took a look at my orchard spreadsheet, I've got about 10 trees w/ B118 rootstock. Now I'm worried, I thought that was a very well anchored rootstock for apples & could be grown w/o tree supports?

Went back & took a look at my orchard spreadsheet, I've got about 10 trees w/ B118 rootstock. Now I'm worried, I thought that was a very well anchored rootstock for apples & could be grown w/o tree supports?

Yes, that’s what everyone was told. Just add that to the list of all the other lies you’ve ever been told - like you can’t get Covid if you’ve been vaccinated.

There are possibly some soils where it will do okay but not in mine and not in those of lots of other people I have heard from. I’m just glad I don’t have very many of them.

Yes, that’s what everyone was told. Just add that to the list of all the other lies you’ve ever been told - like you can’t get Covid if you’ve been vaccinated.
Haha truth! I know 50 people that had covid in Dec & Jan and 85% of them were double jabbed!

Back