Recent pics of soybean plots

Maybe Oklahoma does better on the deer studies than Kansas but I bet they have no real idea here.Another thing is deer will move so far even cross rivers to eat certain foods that may be growing over there then come back.This one reason I plant each crop 2-3 weeks after ag crops are planted,so that i am in different stages.Beans look great

Been giving serious thought to litter. You have a hook up nearby?

I did not inoculate the beans this year, I planted beans & cowpeas last year and did. The guy I bought seed from talked me out of it since I had inoculated beans there last year, he grows a lot of crops. Maybe a mistake. I did pull a few plants and only found nodules on one, that's been a couple weeks back so maybe there's more now? I really need to pull another soil test, done one spring of last year and was low in everything plus needed 1 ton/ac of lime. I have not tested since the lime application.
Question: do the presence of nodules mean that the plant must be fixing nitrogen?

I inoculated my parttridge pea seed, my clover seed was preinnoculated, but my seed distributor told me it wasn't nessecary to innoculate my peas and beans. I didn't do it. They are loaded with nodules.

Just wondering if it's possible to have plants loaded with nodules that is also not fixing any nitrogen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

View attachment 8145

You can see yellowing in my beans. This ground is considered blackland prairie - a calcareous soil - high in lime. Natural pH of around 7.5 - or slightly higher. Not even recommended to grow soybeans in calcareous soil. They are supposed to be very poor at fixing nitrogen in high pH. I apply 200 lbs 17-17-17 per acre at time of planting and then a month or so later, apply 100 lbs per acre 34-0-0. That pretty well brings them out of their yellow appearance. I know a lot of folks will say beans dont need nitrogen - but it works for me.

I thought about spreading some addl N on them but didn't get it done. I spread a couple hundred lbs. of map with potash mixed in a couple weeks after they sprouted, figured that may have been plenty.

Maybe Oklahoma does better on the deer studies than Kansas but I bet they have no real idea here.Another thing is deer will move so far even cross rivers to eat certain foods that may be growing over there then come back.This one reason I plant each crop 2-3 weeks after ag crops are planted,so that i am in different stages.Beans look great

Thanks,

I've looked and can't find much info by county for population estimates, I doubt that would be accurate to my land anyway. I'll ask the local game ranger sometime and see if he has any idea.

Just wondering if it's possible to have plants loaded with nodules that is also not fixing any nitrogen.

I'm not really the guy to ask, I'm still quite green in the foodplot/habitat journey. What I understood is if there are nodules on the roots they were fixing N.

Bean update before & after
5711c7fd6bd259d82507cebbf0511c68.jpg
51f83a08d394be79e1f75c15372c0c2c.jpg

The beans on this small plot are toward the west side of the ranch and getting hammered. To the left of the pic is a narrow woodlot The 4 ac bean plot is just past it not 100 yds from this camera and as of now in pretty good shape, may make pods they were flowering last week. The bean plots on the east end of the property are just about ate up but they've fed deer for the last two + months so I'll let them finish them off before fall plots are drilled.
Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That one field looks great, lush and green. The other is doing its job for certain, feeding deer!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

G3, how did you plant those beans? Is that rolled down rye I see?

No till drill, that's rye you see but it was mowed down a couple weeks after beans emerged. I did roll some in another plot with a cultipacker and left some standing for comparison. The beans where I let the rye stand looked better/taller than the rest, can't tell it now though cause there ate up.

this is a 4 ac plot under 100 yds from the "after" pic above. That small plot has taken the brunt of the pressure. Starting to see quite a few pods.
e5eb419a71bb1b3b3ce0591ccd994137.jpg
2acf0836351977d027912efa5746b1cd.jpg
48e5e93719236b2f11b5376c053252d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

How are your beans holding up here at the end? I had three acres of nice no-tilled ag beans and in the last three weeks the deer took every leaf off the top, looks odd with just stems sticking up, but the bean pods are ok and hanging thick.WP_20170902_07_09_23_Pro (2).jpg

How are your beans holding up here at the end?

The 4ac plot is getting the tops nipped off but still lots of leaves. The small plot looks similar to yours, I think they use the small plot as a staging area. They have provided a good food source all summer, with the exception of two plots by the river that were decimated early. Between the hogs & deer they didn't last long.

Back