Pre manufactured Building......help

cat, I'm not Mennoniteman (but I am a man and attend a Mennonite church ;)). I am a construction manager for a company that does mostly pre-engineered metal buildings, which is what I assume you are referring to as "steel I-beam type".

The first question - what size building are you looking at? If the span is 40' or less, check closely to be sure that you are getting a comparable package. My first suspicion is that if a pre-engineered metal building in the size range mentioned on this thread appears to be competitive with a pole building of identical dimensions, something is not "apples to apples". I say this because when I am contacted by someone looking for a quote on a 30 x 40 building (or similar size), my first question is "Do you want a pre-engineered metal building even if it costs more than a pole building?" If the answer is "I am looking for the best price/most economical", I suggest that they talk to one of the local reputable pole builders.

As Mennoniteman said, the cost of the foundations required for the metal buildings usually pushes them well above pole building costs, and I would add that most people are far more comfortable with (and better equipped for) adding their own finishes or additions to a wood-framed building.

If you are talking about spans of 60+', metal buildings may begin to compete, but spans of 80' and more are where steel really comes into its own, so to speak.

My company has erected a couple of those building packages supplied by one of those high-pressure outfits that advertises prominently. Each time, I was called in after the purchase was made and the purchaser was badly disappointed with what the package included, along with being in a financial bind because they bought without understanding the lengthy "Not Included" list of needful things. I am not saying that you can't have a good experience with a company like that, but my opinion is that particular niche epitomizes the old "buyer beware" scenario.

Of course, there is also the possiblity that someone in your area is giving you a ridiculously good deal on a metal building while all the pole builders you talked to are overloaded and therefore charging a premium. :) Just be careful, as that's not a typical scenario.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

The $17k one is quoted with 2" vinyl backed insulation roof and walls. The others are not insulated.
I asked all of them to be quoted without insulation for comparison reasons, but the one company forgot to delete it from the package.
It sounds like you are really doing your homework! A lot of variables here, but I'll put in my 5 cents for free, If it would be a really big building I'd lean towards steel, but on that size IMO you will be happier long term and get a better value with the pole barn. There is a big advantage in wooden trusses with a level ceiling, it's easy to install a ceiling; now you have a building an attic, which is much easier to condition in winter and summer. Rule of thumb in building, the further your occupied space is removed from your roofline the easier your space is to condition. Huge difference here. And a level ceiling in white is much nicer and brighter to install light fixtures. Plus the light storage you get in the trusses. steel framework in a small building will be a big increase in cost and frustration levels for all future work you do or have done by others on the building. On the steel frame style they are using less wood and putting the roof purlins on edge. Huge roof leak potential there. The better quality pole building guys put the trusses 4'oc. and lay 2x4 purlins flat. Hardly ever roof leaks with that system. We go along and retrofit buildings to that system all the time because of incessant roof leaks.

It sounds like you are really doing your homework! A lot of variables here, but I'll put in my 5 cents for free, If it would be a really big building I'd lean towards steel, but on that size IMO you will be happier long term and get a better value with the pole barn. There is a big advantage in wooden trusses with a level ceiling, it's easy to install a ceiling; now you have a building an attic, which is much easier to condition in winter and summer. Rule of thumb in building, the further your occupied space is removed from your roofline the easier your space is to condition. Huge difference here. And a level ceiling in white is much nicer and brighter to install light fixtures. Plus the light storage you get in the trusses. steel framework in a small building will be a big increase in cost and frustration levels for all future work you do or have done by others on the building. On the steel frame style they are using less wood and putting the roof purlins on edge. Huge roof leak potential there. The better quality pole building guys put the trusses 4'oc. and lay 2x4 purlins flat. Hardly ever roof leaks with that system. We go along and retrofit buildings to that system all the time because of incessant roof leaks.

I always lay purlins flat when I have built barns, but why more leaks when on edge? Screws missing the perlins?

Th
Here are 3 examples of recent quotes (all 24x40x16H):
Polebarn with wooden rafters - $15,200 + $5k cement
Polebarn with clearspan steel trusses - $17,950 + $5k cement
I-beam steel hybrid polebarn with clearspan steel trusses - $19,900 (includes cement)
The pole building is probably a true 16' tall wall height. The hybrid building they call 16' tall probably only has a twelve feet high wall height. Check it out.

I always lay purlins flat when I have built barns, but why more leaks when on edge? Screws missing the perlins?
You guessed it, a lot of pressure on these construction workers for production, and without making marks on roofing it's impossible to hit center of the purlin consistently, split outs will loosen and leak in several years. Tough to fix later on a metal roof. Two guys can built that size with ten foot high walls in a day starting on bare dirt, without the floor of course

You guys are giving me lots of great info! Thanks.
Mennoniteman, you make a hard argument for wood instead of steel trusses (you are correct, 12ft walls 16ft down the center). Would it make any difference if I said I had no intention of ever finishing the ceiling, insulating, or conditioning the building?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You guys are giving me lots of great info! Thanks.
Mennoniteman, you make a hard argument for wood instead of steel trusses (you are correct, 12ft walls 16ft down the center). Would it make any difference if I said I had no intention of ever finishing the ceiling, insulating, or conditioning the building?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I don't like the roof purlins in the building in the picture, besides the roof leak issue they are overspanned and if you walk on the roof of the finished building it will feel spongy. I know they will have an engineer who says they are strong enough, and while that's a common type of building in the midwest, you wouldn't be able to get a building permit for that style roof in any state in the mid'atlantic region. If you do the hybrid building remember that if you don't do the insulation option up front you will have less options on insulating later. If you are never finishing the ceiling, insulating, or conditioning the building the hybrid building is good but I wouldn't pay more money for it. But any of the three quotes is still way better than a round hoop building. Contractors come and go like the wind, the good ones are wonderful people, the bad ones rip people off. For me to make the choice, a reputable builder would make the difference. If one of the owners works hands-on on your jobsite for the whole project it's a plus. If not but, the owner is the person you deal with before an after the sale that's also a plus. The builder having a good reputation in the area and having lot's of happy customers is key.
Good luck with your building project!

I don't like the roof purlins in the building in the picture, besides the roof leak issue they are overspanned and if you walk on the roof of the finished building it will feel spongy. I know they will have an engineer who says they are strong enough, and while that's a common type of building in the midwest, you wouldn't be able to get a building permit for that style roof in any state in the mid'atlantic region. If you do the hybrid building remember that if you don't do the insulation option up front you will have less options on insulating later. If you are never finishing the ceiling, insulating, or conditioning the building the hybrid building is good but I wouldn't pay more money for it. But any of the three quotes is still way better than a round hoop building. Contractors come and go like the wind, the good ones are wonderful people, the bad ones rip people off. For me to make the choice, a reputable builder would make the difference. If one of the owners works hands-on on your jobsite for the whole project it's a plus. If not but, the owner is the person you deal with before an after the sale that's also a plus. The builder having a good reputation in the area and having lot's of happy customers is key.
Good luck with your building project!
Once again, THANKS for the input!

I'm not 100% sure but I think all three of the one's I'm looking at have the same purlin systems with very similar specs. The three quotes I've presented here are from local companies who have been around a long time and all three have good review by word of mouth and they all come highly recommended. The steel building is actually cheaper than the other two once cement is added in. To be honest, the steel building guy is an old cattleman that has been doing these buildings locally for a couple of decades and after several conversations I've found I like him (probably not a good reason to base my decision on). With that said, you've really got me thinking about having rafters to build an attic on for storage. I have lots of seasonal things (like duck decoys) I could stick up there to tuck out of the way.

I started out looking at round hoop buildings and the steel "carport" style buildings because they looked like good prices. I quickly ruled them out for various reasons already stated....

Once again, thanks for the help guys. I've learned a lot and think I'm closer to making a good choice than I was a few days ago.

Once again, THANKS for the input!

I'm not 100% sure but I think all three of the one's I'm looking at have the same purlin systems with very similar specs. The three quotes I've presented here are from local companies who have been around a long time and all three have good review by word of mouth and they all come highly recommended. The steel building is actually cheaper than the other two once cement is added in. To be honest, the steel building guy is an old cattleman that has been doing these buildings locally for a couple of decades and after several conversations I've found I like him (probably not a good reason to base my decision on). With that said, you've really got me thinking about having rafters to build an attic on for storage. I have lots of seasonal things (like duck decoys) I could stick up there to tuck out of the way.

I started out looking at round hoop buildings and the steel "carport" style buildings because they looked like good prices. I quickly ruled them out for various reasons already stated....

Once again, thanks for the help guys. I've learned a lot and think I'm closer to making a good choice than I was a few days ago.
On the roof system, your snow load is way lighter than the mid-atlantic region, I'm not used to looking at lighter construction like that. You said; "an old cattleman that has been doing these buildings locally for a couple of decades" That's a good reason to buy from him, he's got a good track record. I'd feel comfortable with that.

We don't get much snow, we sometimes go a couple yrs in a row without enough snow to go sledding. We do sometimes get ice which is heavy and breaks trees. The worst is probably our wind. 60mph straight winds and tornado's are our worries.
Liking the guy and the fact that he is cheapest for what I "need" lean me towards him. The debate between an attic or not, future add on's, and total interior height are becoming concerns though.

We don't get much snow, we sometimes go a couple yrs in a row without enough snow to go sledding. We do sometimes get ice which is heavy and breaks trees. The worst is probably our wind. 60mph straight winds and tornado's are our worries.
Liking the guy and the fact that he is cheapest for what I "need" lean me towards him. The debate between an attic or not, future add on's, and total interior height are becoming concerns though.
Painted Steel roofing and siding put on with screws is more wind proof than shingles and vinyl siding, these type of structures are the next best thing to brick in high winds. The main reason the one is cheaper is the wall height to eave. Ask the hybrid person what the upcharge is for 16' eave height? Then you have the height to put a raised deck in the back for upper storage just like the trusses. Also, the quality of painted steel varies a lot. The galvanized coating thickness (G-80 G-90 G-100 or galvalume AZ-50 AZ-55 AZ-60) The steel thickness (30ga 29ga 28ga) the paint (Valspar Kynar Siliconized) paint warranty (30 40 or 50 yr) screws (rubber washer adhered to metal washer is the better one) The painted steel siding and roofing is one of the most important components of this building.

Back