Plum?

Ran across this over the weekend. Looks like a plum of some sorts, has thorns on the branches. Any help identifying would be appreciated.

a96d41d3ebe875ac45a5d4aac440bd0a.jpg
7898b990ec1ca9e963ae6e8dc9dbab37.jpg
0e94f7858e641828d2ac396c33de908f.jpg
80336e551b07360eaf412ec05822ac29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a plum and likely a Chickasaw Plum. The only other choice in your area would be wild plum (I think). They look much alike.

The nice size of the fruit leads me to think Chickasaw.

I think Native Hunter is probably spot on (he usually is with plant i.d!) I dont think it is our Native American plum as it the leaves look different than what we have growing around here but that could also be due to environmental conditions.

Happened to look at some info from a local nursery specializing in native plants for LA. He mentioned that Mexican plum was native in this area. Some of the pics online look very similar to it. They say that it has more of a white film on the fruit compared to Chickasaw and American. That seems to be what these are like, guess I'll need to verify once they are ripe.

Happened to look at some info from a local nursery specializing in native plants for LA. He mentioned that Mexican plum was native in this area. Some of the pics online look very similar to it. They say that it has more of a white film on the fruit compared to Chickasaw and American. That seems to be what these are like, guess I'll need to verify once they are ripe.

That would explain why I thought the leaves looked a tad wide for Chickasaw. I've never seen a Mex Plum in person, but just looked at some pics, and it looks right.

Back