Planting Trees

Just a short video of how I planted trees. Hoping maybe it can help someone, maybe point them in somewhat the right direction.

Here is the link....

I got 3 min in and had to stop watching. No offense but I noticed at least a couple things done wrong. If you are going to put out how-to videos, be sure you know yourself how to do it right.
1st off your hole was not deep enough. You don’t want your tap root to curve like that. Second, that much fertilizer dropped on top of the roots will do more harm than good on a sapling. Also not sure if 50lbs of mulch is necessary on a sapling but I guess it doesn’t hurt? Basically I think you may want to learn a little more about tree planting before you show people how to do it. But I commend you for trying.

If I'm planting bare root, I use a dibble bar, or the same technique with a landscaping spade if the seedling is larger, to keep good root to soil contact.

I got 3 min in and had to stop watching. No offense but I noticed at least a couple things done wrong. If you are going to put out how-to videos, be sure you know yourself how to do it right.
1st off your hole was not deep enough. You don’t want your tap root to curve like that. Second, that much fertilizer dropped on top of the roots will do more harm than good on a sapling. Also not sure if 50lbs of mulch is necessary on a sapling but I guess it doesn’t hurt? Basically I think you may want to learn a little more about tree planting before you show people how to do it. But I commend you for trying.

That's fine, like I stated before it is how I plant them. We all do things differently and it's cool to have those different ways. I actually filmed it just over 12 months ago now, and they all are fine. Most had started peaking out the top of the 48 inch tubes. Thanks for your input though.

When you curl up the tap root, problems occur a couple years down the road, not immediately. That's why root pruned trees are easier to plant. It's better to prune the roots mechanically prior to planting than to coil them in the hole. IMHO, this is basic knowledge. Not intending any offense, but what you're demonstrating is a setup for unhealthy trees down the road.

Back