Planting some trees

I am just moving my seedlings (swamp chestnuts mostly) from 18s. I dont yet have any gallon size rootmaker pots or bags ( tree tubes took all my spending money). I will have to move them to regular pots. What is your process for both transferring them outside and maintaining them over summer and fall? Im thinking underneath a big tree beside driveway so they can very little light to start and close to my view (out of sight out of mind).

Looking good Matt. Good luck, hope you get some help with the moisture from mother nature this year.

I am just moving my seedlings (swamp chestnuts mostly) from 18s. I dont yet have any gallon size rootmaker pots or bags ( tree tubes took all my spending money). I will have to move them to regular pots. What is your process for both transferring them outside and maintaining them over summer and fall? Im thinking underneath a big tree beside driveway so they can very little light to start and close to my view (out of sight out of mind).

I live in NE Texas and with our longer growing season it doesn't make sense for me to start trees indoors. I just wait until I think the last frost is over and plant after that. All my trees gown in RM18s are started outside so I don't have to worry about having to slowly aclimate them to the outdoors like those who start them inside. In your case, I would put them in full shade to start with and then slowly give them more light. If you're having to buy your "regular" pots you plan to move them too I'd go with one gallon 12 month root pouches. You can get them very cheap and they will continue with the air pruning that you started with the RM18s. If you set them on the ground be sure and move the root pouches around every once in a while to keep the roots from growing into the ground. This will mechanically prune those roots as well. My biggest threat here in Texas is heat. You really have to watch them in the summer or a couple days without water at the wrong time and it will set you back a couple months.

Matt

Back