pine thinning question...

readonly

I had some loblollies thinned before spring '15. Fifth row thinning with select cut of remaining rows. The trees were 21 years old, first thinning. For the first few years after a thinning like this, what should I expect as far as growth of the remaining pines? Will they close the canopy quickly, should they get a quick spirt due to the new growing room, or do they need time to recover from the disturbance of the equipment?
I don't have much in terms of observations other than that there is a healthy flush of undergrowth. Some trees seem to be putting out good top growth, others seem unchanged.

I have no first hand experience, but from what ive seen with hardwoods, each year builds on itself. Every year, tree growth should increase from the year prior. The first year following a thinning, trees are still working up to their potential. When they close in again, growth stalls until the next thinning.

Do you know what the site index is for pines in your area. That will give insight to growth. We are able to do first thinnings on pine down here 12-15 yrs in many places. Closes up within a couple years.

I have never heard of this index. Our pines grow quite well for this region....they were definitely ready to be thinned at 17 years. But I decided to hold off for a few reasons, namely I wanted more of a return than just pulp....up here we get only $100 for a load of pulp/chips but $600 for a load of logs. Once I made the decision to get it thinned and contacted the forester....it took over another 2 years to get the job done. Also this stand is as much for a highway screen as it is for investment. I will definitely thin again in a few years but I'm not sure that I ever clear cut. The first thinning turned out very well....we got 1 load of logs and 2-3 loads of chips per acre.

Site index is a rating of the soil's ability to grow stuff. The higher the index the faster it should grow. My trees were like yours--ready to thin at 15 years but took two years to get it done so they were 17. That was two years ago and I noticed last week they have really blown up this year. I think the canopy will close next year. I did the 5th row thinning and removing trees in the remaining rows. My site index is average. They just kind of sat there last year but like I said, have taken off this year.

Back