Double L

Just joined the forum. Got into making food plots 3 years ago and now it has become like a second job.. Not complaining though, I tell my wife it is tractor therapy. Just looking for advice on what others have tried and can share what we have been doing. We went from 15 to 32 tillable acres this past winter on our 800 acre hunting land. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Wow - 800 acres is a pretty good sized chunk. What sort of projects are you interested in? Lots f info here beyond just plots. Lots of guys with experience with timber cutting, hinging, native grasses, tree planting, fruit trees, water holes.....you name it, somebody here has more than likely at least tried it at least once!

Welcome to the site.

Well we did our first hinge cutting this past winter along with adding 16 new acres of food plot. our property has no level areas and we have rocks with a little dirt on top. we have been experimenting more with different food to try to keep the dinner table full all winter long. Last year we skipped harvesting deer except for a few doe (5) for the kids to try to let the age structure get better. We have been doing QDMA for several years but after we had a biologist come in last year we have really upped our game for deer management. We have been aquiring equipment and putting in lots of time in the last 2 years. Having more fun doing this than hunting probably now.

Welcome to the forum. Somerset county is just west of my area. Lots of food plot ideas available here, and you probably have some experiences to share that benefit the rest of us.

Welcome aboard. With that many acres planting you will be giving us tips. My operation is so small but trying to be effective. How many folks in your club? What kind of equipment do yall have already?

Welcome.

If I was planting 32 acres in rocky soil I would invest in a no till drill. It will be better for your soil and drastically cut down on time required to get the fields planted. I got a 7 foot Great Plains model a couple of years ago, and it was a game changer.

What equipment do you have now?

6 guys but I'm the only local one. I live 9 miles away. We've.been doing good on the Euipment side so far. 5085 JD tractor is my main work horse. 10 pt plow. 10' disc. 8' Great Plains no till drill. 28' boom sprayer. 10' brush hog. 8' root rake. Two small JD compact tractors with 5' brush hogs and sickle bar. This year I picked up a cat 259d track loader and a rock bucket with grabbles. And a danseur tree puller and I'm picking up today a CID articulating boom brush hog.

what is the secret that I am missing with uploading pictures from my PC? I have not been able to do an upload. I was going to upload to the property tours and I also have octagon blind with stand drawings and cut list I was going to share. Im not too savy with the pc so keep it simple please..

what is the secret that I am missing with uploading pictures from my PC? I have not been able to do an upload. I was going to upload to the property tours and I also have octagon blind with stand drawings and cut list I was going to share. Im not too savy with the pc so keep it simple please..
I use the Paint program to reduce the picture file density to 25% and then it uploads fine and still looks clear enough. Using the upload a file button below uploads up to 10 such pictures for a single post.

I think chainsaw is right....more than likely your original file size is too large (I think we are limited to 1 meg) - as such, open your file....use a screen capture tool of some sort and pull it into paint. Then simply save as a JPEG and it should grossly reduce your file size. This is what I do.....but I also tend to do my surfing on my laptop. Other folks use an app called tapatalk to upload images, but I'm not smart enough for that. You will always find folks to help you post pics....we love pics!

What are you planting now? I'm a big fan of the LC rotations (brassica and grain/clover mix) as a base. I also plant corn and beans in a mix. I've also become a real fan of rutabagas and Winfred brassicas. We are focused on keeping the deer fed through heavy snows. Right now, we are 60/40 annuals. For hunting over, I'm a huge fan of a buffet line as it keeps the deer moving. I'm hoping to add some alfalfa to our buffet for additional variety. All of our plots (about 17 acres) are broadcast so you are miles ahead of us with your equipment.

Back