MSU Deer Lab podcast: Mineral Stumps for Deer

ca1c1c5a32a97cb487eb48fb2d0faf27.jpg

This is the first time I've ever seen a Yellow Poplar browsed here. Those sprouts are from a sapling I cut down last July when I was clearing a trail. This is encouraging, some of our woods have a LOT of Yellow Poplar.

After work today, I went out and cut a few more mineral stumps. I don't have any idea if they'll do anything this year or not. We' gonna find out.

Here are a few Sassafras that I cut. Incidentally, I watched a 2 year old velvet buck try to get through here the other day. There is a salt lick just to the left of the cedar tree in the background. He would approach the cluster of sassafras trees, then back away and try again in another spot. He finally circled back away from the sassafras trees, and walked between some cedars that I had cut a small tunnel through.
Anyway, Before & After. If these sprout this year, I'll post pics.

7f3a5c07fb7002a00a51493aa15b3607.jpg

f85a2afc7ff02f831424976a07c48fc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Interesting. I've never seen deer browsing tulip poplars, but maybe the mineral stumps make the difference. But I never cut tulip poplars, the only non deer beneficial tree that I let stand. They are the number one fast growing top dollar timber crop tree here in Pennsylvania.

Today I checked the stumps that were cut August 8. Many of the poplars are sprouting already. I had also cut some redbuds and sassafras, but they haven't done anything yet.
63c8796553d4ea6d1109305753aa58fc.jpg
b092ef92b4ba5066bcf04290d552bb26.jpg
683cf52c35d4cf78885978ada78e9a45.jpg

By the way, I've listened to all 13 of the MSU Deer University podcasts now. Great stuff.

Last edited:
A few questions.
What trees are preferred? The only one I heard mentioned was red maple.
What is the method of making a mineral stump? Just cutting the tree or does time of the year matter? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

I'd highly advise that guys cut their ash.
The Emerald Ash Borer will eventually kill all the mature ash trees, but if you cut them while they're still alive, (which means the roots are still alive) the tree will stump sprout and create some browse. I've cut a lot of my ash and most have remained alive. Our area has almost 100% ash die off due to EAB. Once the tree's top dies, the roots are also dead. Cutting them while they are still alive saves the life of the roots and is a lot safer than cutting a dead tree.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This tulip poplar mineral stump is on the property I recently purchased in western NC. A large percentage of the property was recently logged and most of the stumps are browsed like this one. Couldn't imagine creating a higher stem count.

I'm still in the process of planning a layout that will enhance the habitat and facilitate good hunting in the future. I'll be planting chestnuts and oaks over the next few years but the deer should be well fed for now. I don't have any plans to get serious about food plots until I move closer to the property ~5 years from now.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This oak mineral stump (unknown species) also had heavy browse pressure. This portion of the property was logged over a year ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 0
This tulip poplar mineral stump is on the property I recently purchased in western NC. A large percentage of the property was recently logged and most of the stumps are browsed like this one. Couldn't imagine creating a higher stem count.

I'm still in the process of planning a layout that will enhance the habitat and facilitate good hunting in the future. I'll be planting chestnuts and oaks over the next few years but the deer should be well fed for now. I don't have any plans to get serious about food plots until I move closer to the property ~5 years from now.
If you get a head start on food plots now and at least keep the areas planted in grass and mowed once a year, you may save a bunch of money in land clearing costs, and get a head start in soil conditioning. Just a thought.

I'm hoping to clear and lime the plot areas in the next 12 months. I want to keep them at least relatively clear compared to the poplar jungle that will soon cover most of the property. Living 4,600 miles from the property doesn't help. I'll start another thread asking for advice and what to plant that requires little to no maintenance; currently thinking clover.

Back