Missouri youth season

Jeff H

Good luck to all that are hunting the Missouri youth season this weekend. It's going to be a cold one. Bundle those kids up!
I'll have my son Jackson with me in our Holiday Inn stand. There is a heater, stove and the makings for coffee and hot chocolate. If I can only keep him awake !

Good luck to them...gonna be a cold one! Our muzzleloader season starts tomorrow and I am ready for it...

Bought the kid some new bibs, insulated underwear, and a bunch of hand and foot warmers. Hopefully we don't have to sit too long! He claims he is holding out for a buck this year. Good luck to everybody hitting the woods tomorrow.

We're on the same pattern. Left Bass Pro last night 200.00 poorer but with new bib overalls for Jack. He also says he wants a buck this year. It could be a long day. At least he'll be warm!

Had a good weekend, but no gut piles. The kid set for about 3 hours Saturday morning and about 4 hours Saturday afternoon. We had a yearling six at about 15 feet on the wrong side of the blind, just needed a few steps but he went the other way. I was proud of the kid for sticking with it in the cold.

f5fdc701a586643d2e5e6e930e0fd3ab.jpg

Looks like I will spend my opening weekend getting this guy a buck. He isn't as picky so that will make it more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in the "Live from the stand" thread but will post here also.
Jackson was holding out for a buck this year. Last year he shot a basket racked 6 pt which was his first buck ever. He knew this year any buck he shot had to be at least 4 points on one side or an old doe. My rules. After seeing the small fork horns this morning we hit a long dry spell. Windy, cold and no sightings for 4,5 hours kinda got him down. I tried to encourage him by telling him how many pictures I was getting in the evening in the clover patch just off the main plot. I told him that I fully expected to see a deer come from that clover patch this evening. 45 mins later that's exactly what happened. We could see the buck in the clover patch working his way toward us. Binoculars confirmed he was an 8 pointer. Jack started to breathe very hard and I had to remind him to control his breathing. The buck turned down a lane I cut in the milo and was headed right for us. At about 60 yards he turned broadside and I stopped him with a grunt. The shot looked good and the buck mule kicked and ran toward us slightly to our left. It was 5:15. We waited 30 minutes and went to look for blood. Three steps out of the blind and I could see the deer down. He went 60 yards and was 30 yards from the blind when he fell. The shot was perfect. Only had to drag him 40 yards to the truck. Jack was beaming!
upload_2017-10-30_11-45-0.png

Had a good weekend, but no gut piles. The kid set for about 3 hours Saturday morning and about 4 hours Saturday afternoon. We had a yearling six at about 15 feet on the wrong side of the blind, just needed a few steps but he went the other way. I was proud of the kid for sticking with it in the cold.
Keeping them in high spirits can be a job on cold windy days. I'm proud of all these kids that tough it out in hard weather conditions.

Back