Length of Chestnut Taproot

Was at my favorite place today... the local Farm and Ranch store and found these...

e568c97da294630b445a133997f2ede6.jpg

If only they were twice as long!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

All you can do is give it a try, original idea or something else. Nothing ever improves if we all just go with the status quo.

Was at my favorite place today... the local Farm and Ranch store and found these...

e568c97da294630b445a133997f2ede6.jpg

If only they were twice as long!

Matt

Matt,
I can't tell how long it is by the picture, but have you thought of putting 2 together, open ends facing one another, sewing them together then cut one end and fill?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Take a look at Treepots and Mini-Treepots (sold by Stuewe & Sons). They have a good selection of narrow and deep starting pots (designed for fruit and nut trees) . They make one that is 4 inches wide by 30 inches in height (TP 430 long pot).

Matt, 6" or bigger plastic drain pipe (the kind they use in ag. fields) sometimes has a sock / fabric covering the plastic drain pipe (the drain pipe is inside the sleeve-like fabric). If the cloth material is loose enough for roots to pass through it, you could easily cut it ti length. I'd check with a company that does tile work (installs drain pipe in agriculture fields). Good luck

Okay so I had some time to work on my idea today. Here it is...

4d7019cfc67686d4fdbc382fd283e3d1.jpg

I went with a 3" hole because that's the size of hole saw I had and I'm trying to do this on the cheap to see if it works. I may go to a 4" hole if I build another. I'm going to put it on legs then skin the outside of it with more plywood to protect the bags from the sun and shade them as they hang down. I plan to install Polly pipe and mister heads on the underside that can be connected to a water hose. This will hopefully help to water the bags more evenly and keep them from drying out. I will also top water but will turn on the misters to make sure the bottom of the bags get moistened as well.

I'm also going to try and delay germination of my chestnuts until May. This will give them a later start and hopefully they won't outgrow the container until time to plant in their final places.

Matt

f697f90e973fed783280383b5de012da.jpg

It's coming together. My OCD got to me. I found myself at Home Depot today and $20 later I have a 4" hole saw. So new piece of scrap 3/4" plywood and I have a new top. Going with 6 holes on this one to give the trees more room. I look at it this way. If this doesn't work I can 3D print some pots that'll fit in those holes and the table will get used one way or another. I can also use the other top as a jig should I want to build another and it will save me time having to measure and layout the holes. Planning on adding plywood to cover the sides with access doors on each end that I can open and shut as needed.

I have some three year old trees in 7 gallon root pouches right now that I need to get planted.

I'm just tired of the constant struggle of babying trees at my house. I want to be able to grown them a year then plant them in their spots when they go dormant while giving them the best chance for survival.

Matt

I feel your pain Matt. I'm right there with you. Living in Ft Worth the summers are awful and I really have to baby my trees too. This time around I'm just going to direct seed my bur acorns and if they grow, great. If not, I'm not out all the trouble of keeping them going in rootmakers all summer.

Nice work Matt, I think it was smart to insulate it. I'm enjoying your new thread. I expect we will learn something new with this little experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewe and sons has very long deep Treepots. They are made specifically for growing a long taproot and i think pecan growers use them for that reason.
You will lose any air pruning of the side roots, but i wouldnt worry about that. Your goal is a long taproot and less headache.

When I was doing a lot af container gardening a couple of years ago a lady on Facebook had stitched up some grow bags from old jeans, getting a couple out of each leg.

Back