Is Winter Rye different than Cereal Rye?

cagantpr

I stopped at a co-op counter and asked for a bag of winter rye. Here is a copy of my invoice:
Rye Invoice.jpg
I backed up to the dock and the girl from the warehouse brought out a 50lb bag with this tag on it:
Rye Bag Tag.jpg

I asked her if this was winter rye and she responded that it was the only rye that they had.

Which brings me to the question I posed in my subject title. All that l I know for sure is that VNS means Variety Not Stated.

Saying winter rye is kinda redundant. There's rye for grain (like to make whiskey) and ryegrass (like for a lawn). All (?) rye for grain gets planted in the fall and harvested in the spring. I mean, I get it. There's spring wheat and winter wheat, but, far as I know there's not that distinction for rye (grain).

You got rye for grain. You done good!

I wish i could get WR for $13. Try closer to 40 at my local co-op. Hard to justify the cost when winter wheat is so much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish i could get WR for $13. Try closer to 40 at my local co-op. Hard to justify the cost when winter wheat is so much cheaper.

Wow! I paid 10$ / 50# for both WR and WW yesterday. Even AWP were jst 34 which I said I wasn't doing this yr but I did.

I bought 26 bushel of rye last weekend while in Michigan, $4/bushel. She weighed each bag, and they are all heavier than a bushel. Found the deal on Craigslist. Put 25 seed on wet paper towel, and 24 sprouted in 2 days. 96% germ, not too bad. I spread it on my garden, and it's coming up nicely. The lady had more.......

If winter wheat will survive your winters.....don't get all hung up on rye. Either will work just fine. The rye will grow a little later into the year and green up a little sooner and as such will get taller, but it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I actually prefer wheat because rotary equipment and rye don't always play nice together! I also tend to let price influence my choice as well!

Back