Is a Golden Retriever as good as a Lab for blood-trailing

deer?

If one is a multispecies hunter for several seasons and kinds of game one might want some versatility

Some birdshooters may happen to also have a Lab that can be handy for blood-trailing during deer season.

I've heard of Labs being put to work on deer but not Goldens.

If one's retriever for doves, geese or grouse can blood-trail, one does not have to also have a hound in his battery of hunting dogs.

image.jpeg Bloodtrailing among dogs that are not specifically bred to trail might be up to the individual dog. Some breeds are better than others IMO, but some individual dogs that you might not identify as a blood trailing breed are as good as any, if that makes sense. I have a Jack Russell Terrier, a breed known as a blood trailer, and he's pretty good, but he would have been a crackerjack with professional training. All he ever got was the chance to trail and he took to it with no training at all, and has found several deer and many more hogs. So, maybe an individual Golden might be a good bloodtrailer, or he might not. That's my two cents.

I think my next two dogs will be a black Lab male and and tricolor American Foxhound (or similar as Trigg, July, Goodman, Running Walker, etc.) bitch. I will have all hunting seasons of mine therefore covered.

I agree with the words of Drycreek.

You are overthinking a bunch IMO. You want a totally versatile dog. I don't you get that from the breed but from a specific dog's traits and training. I have two labs - a black male and a yellow male. Their personalities and habits are part of their nature not their color. My labs are great dogs but I acknowledge and know there are other great breeds available to do many of the same things labs are good at.

If you get a dog that has 2 or 3 of the many things you are wanting to accomplish or hunt, then count your lucky stars - 'cause you have a great versatile dog.

I agree with the words of Drycreek.

You are overthinking a bunch IMO. You want a totally versatile dog. I don't you get that from the breed but from a specific dog's traits and training. I have two labs - a black male and a yellow male. Their personalities and habits are part of their nature not their color. My labs are great dogs but I acknowledge and know there are other great breeds available to do many of the same things labs are good at.

If you get a dog that has 2 or 3 of the many things you are wanting to accomplish or hunt, then count your lucky stars - 'cause you have a great versatile dog.

I am a fussy man. My requirements for dogs are more than "just being able to hunt". They have to please my eye, behave well, be in good health and also perform satisfactorily in the game fields. They also have make decent companions and act in a socially-acceptable fashion.

Any good (competent) foxhound of mine for trailing wounded deer must not be necessarily ornery (naughty) and bite the hands of children who pet him or her. An affectionate retriever that licks my face to death must not still balk at picking up downed doves with their bitter taste and soft easily-detached feathers that mess up his mouth. He'd better earn his dog food, bacon treats and vet expenses in the field and not be stubborn or a lazy loafer.

Yes, counting lucky stars, you might think I want a Five- or even a Six-Star Dog (or Dogs).

I can expect to pay at least $300 per star for any purebred pup from a reputable breeder who breeds serious hunting dogs that seems to offer promise to fulfil my requirements.

Hunting dogs are like American soldiers: they have to stand tall and look sharp in garrison in-ranks inspection (or on the show bench) but be down, dirty, brave, tough, fast, deadly and hard-charging on the battlefield (or in the game field). A total weapon. A complete razor. They have to do as they are told. Obedient to commands. Dogs also have to hold still and shut up when so commanded by their handlers just as a soldier has to shut up and be still at attention. If they have families (or masters) at home, they still have to be gentlemanly, sociable and amicable. Indeed, a tall order.

A dog has to look good through good breeding, good diet, good grooming, good vet care and good exercise. A soldier can look good by wearing a sharp uniform, clean shined shoes, good posture, a chest thrusted out and a belly sucked in, a clean haircut, a lean build and a clean shave. A dog has to act good through good training and firm disciplinary action.

Soldiers get this on their bottom ends firmly from drill sergeants with iron-toed boots. Perhaps, dogs get this thru e-collars on their tender necks.

Last edited:
Dogs being productive depends more on the handler. My pound puppy mixed Australian shepherd can trail a deer or bear, find deer sheds, herd cattle, and know to get on the safe side of a tree I'm felling, and lay at my feet chairside at night. Now i've had other breeds including labs and they have been great trackers and pets as well.. The best I've ever worked with were my buddies Dauchshunds. Now I might have to have an argument with my dog when deer is found as to who gets ownership, but thats the female in her.;)
Having had squirrel, rabbit, bear, and coon dogs in my family for generations, I know any of us would have a coronary if we paid more than couple hundred for any of them. Better than overthink the breed and attributes of a breed, is the prospective owner take a hard look in the mirror as to his traits and abilites. Guess I've been lucky.

Dogghr's first sentence is spot on.

Also, a dog's behavior is usually a product of good training. Dogs from a particular breed will be individuals and those trained well usually behave well.

Get your dog / pup selected and start the journey.

Good luck and have fun.

Dogghr's first sentence is spot on.

Also, a dog's behavior is usually a product of good training. Dogs from a particular breed will be individuals and those trained well usually behave well.

Get your dog / pup selected and start the journey.

Good luck and have fun.

Advice well taken, Mr. Deer. This is how soldiers transform from civilians to brave fighting men: individuals from all walks of life to cookie-cutter military uniformity through training and firm discipline.

Seek dogs with the hearts of American soldiers: brave but gentle heroes

I am a fussy man. My requirements for dogs are more than "just being able to hunt". They have to please my eye, behave well, be in good health and also perform satisfactorily in the game fields. They also have make decent companions and act in a socially-acceptable fashion.

Any good (competent) foxhound of mine for trailing wounded deer must not be necessarily ornery (naughty) and bite the hands of children who pet him or her. An affectionate retriever that licks my face to death must not still balk at picking up downed doves with their bitter taste and soft easily-detached feathers that mess up his mouth. He'd better earn his dog food, bacon treats and vet expenses in the field and not be stubborn or a lazy loafer.

Yes, counting lucky stars, you might think I want a Five- or even a Six-Star Dog (or Dogs).

I can expect to pay at least $300 per star for any purebred pup from a reputable breeder who breeds serious hunting dogs that seems to offer promise to fulfil my requirements.

Hunting dogs are like American soldiers: they have to stand tall and look sharp in garrison in-ranks inspection (or on the show bench) but be down, dirty, brave, tough, fast, deadly and hard-charging on the battlefield (or in the game field). A total weapon. A complete razor. They have to do as they are told. Obedient to commands. Dogs also have to hold still and shut up when so commanded by their handlers just as a soldier has to shut up and be still at attention. If they have families (or masters) at home, they still have to be gentlemanly, sociable and amicable. Indeed, a tall order.

A dog has to look good through good breeding, good diet, good grooming, good vet care and good exercise. A soldier can look good by wearing a sharp uniform, clean shined shoes, good posture, a chest thrusted out and a belly sucked in, a clean haircut, a lean build and a clean shave. A dog has to act good through good training and firm disciplinary action.

Soldiers get this on their bottom ends firmly from drill sergeants with iron-toed boots. Perhaps, dogs get this thru e-collars on their tender necks.

Carry on !

I'd say a golden could be used as a blood trail dog but there are better options. Best pet dog I've ever owned was a golden, I called him a golden pet as a matter of fact. I had a chocolate lab and another high energy golden (one that would actually retrieve) and the nose on the chocolate was hands down way better than the golden. The lab would find every hidden duck or antler 10 times faster than the golden but would only get the ducks (she could care less about the antler) but the golden was smart enough to watch the lab and knew when she had found the antler and he would then go retrieve it.

Back