How????

AjaDog

My 5 year old German shepherd tracks deer, and does it well, she has never been exposed to blood or even in the woods till this year, other than stocking corn piles, how did she learn this, it is an amazing site to watch her use that nose,her alertness to sounds we can't hear, I guess I just got very lucky to have her her name is Aja

Her innate ability. Some dogs can take to it fairly well, but if you put them on a complicated old line they likely fail without proper training. We have some clients try their dogs on a line and they always fail.

Many rabbit hunters have to work to train their beagles NOT to chase deer. There are generally two ways dogs use scent. While all breeds can uses both, some breeds are much more adept at using one over the other. For example, most upland bird dogs use body scent in the wind to find birds. Beagles generally use ground scent to pick up and follow the trail of a rabbit. Likewise, deer have a scent glad between the toes that dispenses a scent. Well trained dogs can track individual deer based on the scent.

Predators want to chase prey. We just channel that urge and ability with training.

Her innate ability. Some dogs can take to it fairly well, but if you put them on a complicated old line they likely fail without proper training. We have some clients try their dogs on a line and they always fail.
Ok, I got your reply I mean what Aja has done with,7 deer this season was just so cool to watch their real ability to smell, hear, amazing but this past Sunday, I shot a doe and 30 yds into it, she lost the track, there were deer trails every where and fresh, but I understand what you're telling me and I get it any other tips you can help me with

Your dog has shown excellent ability thus far. Get you a good tracking book and train your dog as Fritz and other excellent tracking dogs are trained. An untrained dog does good until a deer shot one afternoon that is not tracked until the next morning. Between the shot and the following morning imagine how many fresh deer tracks cross the trail and co-mingle your target animal's trail.

AjaDog, have fun as you train. Just remember, nobody puts a live deer on the tailgate.

Your dog has shown excellent ability thus far. Get you a good tracking book and train your dog as Fritz and other excellent tracking dogs are trained. An untrained dog does good until a deer shot one afternoon that is not tracked until the next morning. Between the shot and the following morning imagine how many fresh deer tracks cross the trail and co-mingle your target animal's trail.

AjaDog, have fun as you train. Just remember, nobody puts a live deer on the tailgate.
Got that right, and I thank you, I will get me a training book, I will let you know how she does,

Back