How old is this buck?

A wildlife biologist examined the jaw of this buck. How old?IMG_5365.jpegkilled in a southeast Louisiana pine plantation surrounded by more pine plantations.

A wildlife biologist examined the jaw of this buck. How old?View attachment 27157killed in a southeast Louisiana pine plantation surrounded by more pine plantations.

An honest Wildlife biologist would tell you “2.5 or older”. Too much data to show beyond that is a guess. I’ve been sending teeth off for cementum annuli aging, even that’s not 100%.

I feel pretty good about it when my teeth ware “guess” matches the cementum annuli results but realistically I know it’s impossible to be completely sure without an ear tag at birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides that, I’m too old and it’s hard for me to get down on my knees and up again. I know the “science” says that trapping won’t thin out the coyote population. Tell that to all the dead ones that I used to trap !

Oh man is it! In an effort to leave less scent I've gotten to where I'll make my yote sets from a "squatted" position. It's probably comical watching me trying to get back up. Actually watching anything I do is probably pretty comical though.

Sounds like you have sort of a balance. If your yotes eat piglets you likely are ok with that. If you were to find a way to effectively drop your yote population your hog population may skyrocket. Probably rather have "not a lot of does" rather than way too many pigs?

I'm in the camp that 2.5 or older is about as good as I can get on a deer that I don't have history with. Even humans are the same. I know a lady who is 2yrs younger than my wife but I'd swear she is 15yrs older than her.

That looks like a well fed deer. I am no expert on aging deer. My best guess would be between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. At 4 1/2 with a deer that well fed I would think you would be seeing the sagging belly and back. The other side of the coin is, being that well fed it should be exhibiting better antler growth.

trail camara evidence from year to year is a good way to age deer.

Tooth wear is a guesstimate. My taxidermist in Michigan would age my Iowa bucks at 3 years of age. My soft silt Iowa soil didn.t wear teeth as fast.

cementum annuli is +/- 1, 50% of the time. That is a coin flip.

G

I feel pretty confident in aging deer in three catagories if I can see them broadside with their heads up. A 1.5 year old looks like a doe with antlers. From 2.5 years to 3.5 years is an educated guess depending on the deer. The last category is 4.5 or older. That’s about all I will commit to. I watched a deer aging video years ago where it showed you a buck and paused while you made up your mind, then told you how old the deer was. I did very well on these known age bucks. Having said that, it varies with what part of the world that buck is in, even in my state it’s hard to age our different bucks. Each region has different body weights from the smaller Hill Country deer, the larger S. TX deer, and the bigger bodied deer next to OK. I don’t think you can pin it down to the year each time. I do believe that bucks can be aged well enough to shoot the buck you need/want to take.

Last photo is not good for aging, sorry. Won't waste my money on cementum aging either, again. The one I killed in 2019 I had enough camera history to know it was at least 6, aging came back 4.

My guess would be 3.5.

Thing is you never know what a buck can turn into, but if you have better genetics running around I would have a kid take him out.

Back