How does this weather look to you?

MidwestMatthew

Our gun season opens Friday morning. A strong cold front is supposed to come through during the day, with the weather report as follows:
  • 60% chance of thunderstorms
  • High temperature of 65, at 9:00am - then falling all day to a low in the upper 30's that night.
  • Winds gusting to 35mph
Is there anything I ought to know about hunting in this sort of weather? Will the deer be moving, or is it even worth going out?

There is no better time to hunt (weather wise) than a cold front moving in. The falling temps and coming rain are perfect for getting deer on the move. The strong wind is a negative, but being the optimist that I am, I would be hunting. If you have a low sheltered area with any food around next to cover, that's where I would be hunting.....

Last edited:
Any day in the woods can be a great day with just one deer sighting of the right deer so it is always worth a try and as NH says a low sheltered area is a good bet; the next morning though could be a slam dunk.

Always worth going out. If the wind dies down Saturday and it stays cold you should be in for a great day.

I killed one of my largest bow bucks with my Black Widow recurve in a 35 mph wind on a 70 degree day in November... with the falling temps you should be golden...

I am bowhunting tomorrow in roughly the same conditions...

Last edited:
A deer has still gotta do deer stuff regardless of weather conditions

We hunt because we enjoy it right?
Go out and enjoy the day

I went to get a treestand end of season one year that was in a 15 inch DBH oak that was perfectly heathy down in a ravine. Couldn't find the thing till I saw the tree on ground with stand still attached. To this day I don't get in a tree with strong winds. Had a large oak blow down just this past weekend while I was hunting.
But I would be hunting, just still hunting an east-west ridge , wind in my face, crossing back and forth going at a snails pace. Cold front, dropping temps, hunters in woods, could be good. But the next day, now that will be the ticket. Good luck.

Any time the temps drop starting in the morning, that's a day to be in the stand. That's pretty windy, though. If you're not in a typically windy area, I think deer will typically like to shield themselves from the chaos of that wind just a little bit by being in the lower topographical areas. Draws and valleys are typically where I go on those days that hit 20 or 25+ mph. Could also be a day to still hunt with high winds and wet conditions after the rain moves through.

Thanks for the insights guys, I appreciate it.

So if I'm hearing you right, it sounds like Friday could be a good day to be out, but Saturday (calm and colder in the morning) might be amazing. I plan to be out both days, but it's always nice to have some idea of what to expect!

Further, I'd save the better stand wind permitting for Saturday which has a good chance of being a great day. Those fronts often start off with shifting winds and that of course can kill a stand for a while so I would not use the best spot for Friday. Using an extremely low impact spot for Friday gives you the opportunity for a long shot and positions you to get out easily (if you'd like) when the thirty-five mile an hour winds set in. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Further, I'd save the better stand wind permitting for Saturday which has a good chance of being a great day. Those fronts often start off with shifting winds and that of course can kill a stand for a while so I would not use the best spot for Friday. Using an extremely low impact spot for Friday gives you the opportunity for a long shot and positions you to get out easily (if you'd like) when the thirty-five mile an hour winds set in. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Wind blowing about 25-30 mph late this evening and still 70 degrees and my backyard deer came out just like clockwork!

Thats pretty windy, but deer will love the front coming through. 35 mph is dangerous. If it slows down, b in the tree!

Our stand is actually freestanding and most of the trees nearby are too small to really be at risk of coming down. But we'll pay attention and leave if we need to.

Off to bed now - have to be up early in the morning! :)

Back