How do you plan for tree plantings?

Will take your word on it but hope you get some proof to share with us. I will look into the moisture crystals, maybe find a general brand at lowes or the feed store.

Most of the forestry seedling places sell the crystals,they are very handy to keep your seedlings in while planting.Even a few minutes in the sun and wind can be harmful.I just mix up a half bucket and I can get at least 75 seedlings in it and some of the watersorb sticks to the roots so when planted your set.Be careful of settling if using an auger

I have a homemade redneck engineered dibble bar made by a buddy that likes to weld, so no worries about serttling. So you just mix the crystals in a bucket of water and carry your seedlings around in that while you plant?

yes,what I did on my riparian was to disc as deep as I could in the fall,then smooth out and plant winter wheat.Then in spring spray with RU and lay out planting.If you have very many seedlings the 3pt pull behind is really nice.You can plant around 100 in a few hours.

My time frame will be a little different. I still have to bushhog the thick briars and shrubs growing where I want to plant afters season, then gets trees in the ground. I know its not ideal for weed control, but I still need to clear the area and will spread oats and crimson clover in the spring in hopes to limit weeds. Is planting 100 bareroots alone in a day a good goal once land is cleared and ready to plant?

Can you explain trim to the length of a J root? I planned to trim all to about 12" since I figure that about how far I can get them planted without curling the root.

You are thinking exactly right.100 can be done if you have everything set up and ready,It's easier if you have someone placing and packing behind you.here is a riparian we did 8 years ago.The big trees on left are the ones that were along the creek the ones on right we planted and tubed.We did on both sides of creek.The ones on other side are in better soil and 6-10 ft taller

My time frame will be a little different. I still have to bushhog the thick briars and shrubs growing where I want to plant afters season, then gets trees in the ground. I know its not ideal for weed control, but I still need to clear the area and will spread oats and crimson clover in the spring in hopes to limit weeds. Is planting 100 bareroots alone in a day a good goal once land is cleared and ready to plant?

You can knock out 100. I have planted 250 a few times in a day. For me boredom is my down fall.
I would bring headphones for music. That seems to help me stay motivated anyway. Nothing in more boring than: open a hole with dibble, trim roots, place tree in hole, close hole, heel in, take 7 steps and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream of the acorns falling.The first one we did we had to do half with a dibble due to being too wet to use 3pt.So we did around 500 in 2 days with 3 dibbles and a couple people planting.You can see my riparian under the property tours of SC Kansas page 4.

I will check it out. I have my dad that can work pretty good for 60 and a bro in law that wants to start hunting so I have some help. Clearing the area is going to be the hard part I believe, im very inexperienced on a tractor and go pretty slow. My dad is slow to come around to the habitat stuff, as he always had to read the land and find where the deer want to be. It is a whole new game and you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks. He is excited about the trees once I told him the drop times for this mix.

So have one orchard laid out, which already has 30-50 good oaks spread out over 1.5 acres, but have to clear the shrubs and grasses with the tractor. This will be mostly oaks. The green rectangle is a plot, the green line is a planted road. All the surrounding area is very thick. White lines are trails/shooting lanes that have been cleared. Red line is the property line which my neighbor had "no idea it was there". Yellow stars are my stands2016 trees back.jpg

The fruit and small trees( hazelnut, chinquapin, and sawtooths) will go on northern side of roads and outlines the plots. Used the tractor to widen the edges of the plots and create some pockets where light will hit. Clover is the peanut shapes green. Working to clear in between white lines to make a triangle shaped plot. Oaks in the center, small trees circling the plot. The surrounding is very thick with regrowth after being logged 6-7 years ago.
2016 trees front.jpg

I plant to keep the chestnuts on the road through my middle plot. It gets the best sun, has the best soil, and drainage. They are the brown dots north of the green line.
2016 trees middle.jpg

The Deer movement across this section using the 2 creek bottoms that sort of make a V across the property, is mostly North south. Hopefully chestnuts will draw them off the creeks into the open.

Back