Has anyone tried RR sugar beets?

Chipdasqrrl

Anything wrong with planting RR sugar beets opposed to turnips or regular beets? Also, are they hard to find? Lots of people planting RR corn and beans but I never hear of people planting beets for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Never planted beets because they are expensive, finicky, and have a long growing season.
Ed Spin was selling RR beet seed at a function one time. Expensive!

That’s not RR though, is it? I’ve never bought anything RR before so I don’t know how much more expensive it would be

Well, I'll be...could have sworn I was posting a link to RR beets. Sorry about that.
Can't remember how much Ed Spinazzola was charging for the RR type, but I got sticker shock.
From everything I've ever heard or read, there are better choices to plant than sugar beets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just found an older thread on a Michigan forum where they discuss RR beet seed from Ed. $100 bag does 1/3 of an acre.

I just found an older thread on a Michigan forum where they discuss RR beet seed from Ed. $100 bag does 1/3 of an acre.

And I think growing them for anything other than agricultural production is a violation of the terms of use with Monsanto, and opens you up to prosecution if they found out.

If you're looking to try something different, maybe consider collards.
I mixed a little in my brassica planting this year...I'm not really sure of my verdict because my deer eat every brassica to the ground as they sprout. It's hard to grow a nice mature stand of brassica here, But the Green Cover Seed website description of collards sounds very interesting.very cold hardy and regrowth is from the ground so they handle heavy.grazing well...so they say.
I think I'll dedicate a planting to just collards this year and protect them to get established.

I bought 2K of RR sugar beet seeds from a seller on eBay. I was late planting them so they did not get very large. As of the second week of January, the deer had not touched them in any appreciable way. I doubt I will try them again next season. Right now I am much better off with dwarf Essex rape seed and winter rye. The deer have found those plots and are just hammering them.

I have planted sugar beets several time. I got the seed from Ed. My understanding is Monsanto did give permission to use the seed for food plots. In my situation, I have never had anything better at attracting deer then sugar beets. The down side is deer really like them and you need to protect them until they have grown and it is close to hunting season. The only thing that I found to work was an electric fence. More money and a lot more work. I guess if you planted 5 acres you may get away without protection but it is still a big investment. I found I got more benefit from annual clovers and grains. Easy to grow, high out put and they last through the October. Hard not to like.

Back