Good spring/early summer crop for Arkansas

split toe

What is something good I can plant for deer in the spring or early summer here? I was thinking corn and that come fall I could just overseed it with winter wheat?

f71ab5af1ee9ed0bf27bd992622b32e3.jpg

I don't have a recent pic but they did pod out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Also cost per bag this past here was 84 for the mix with white tail thicket and 74 if buying just large lad or big fellow. That includes price of inoculate. From now on I'll probably get either large lad or big fellow and save the 10 dollars.

I tired soybeans and they got wiped out. That said I think anything I plant is gonna get wiped in my area but I'm gonna try Buckwheat, sunflowers, sunn hemp, field peas, wildlife grain sorghum this summer and see how that works.
Also it got pretty expensive for me to do soybeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a mix of Sunn Hemp, Sunflowers, Buckwheat, Red Ripper Peas and Sorghum last summer and it turned out good. I will adjust the mix and next year it will be even better.The Sunflowers got ate as soon as they came up, the Buckwheat led the pack but fairly quickly got overshadowed by the Sunn Hemp. The Peas grew up the Hemp and anywhere it got enough light the Sorghum made heads.Next uyear I will back off some on the Hemp because a lot of Sorghum got shaded out.
IMG_2759_zpswtdptgjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2759_zpswtdptgjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Can't really see it but there are Pea plants crawling up many of the Hemp plants

IMG_2759_zpswtdptgjl.jpg

Right next to this was 3 AC's of Eagles with 7 lb corn/ac. This was e-fenced, which is the only way I can grow beans
IMG_1737_zpss0outhcx.jpg

I'm also a big fan of Eagle beans. Now they can easily get wiped out if you plant a small plot in high deer density areas. Once the leaves start to yellow overseeding with brassicas and rye make a great 1 - 2 punch.

I find myself now planting my spring plots in the fall. Included in my cereal grains is a medium red clover. Clover really doesn't do much in the fall but early spring it takes off like crazy and will provide forage all spring and summer. Till it under in the fall and start all over again.

I have nothing but woods anywhere close to me and a ton of deer so for me I feel at least a mix might draw them at different times instead of them eating really good two weeks in the summer and then done.

I did a mix of Sunn Hemp, Sunflowers, Buckwheat, Red Ripper Peas and Sorghum last summer and it turned out good. I will adjust the mix and next year it will be even better.The Sunflowers got ate as soon as they came up, the Buckwheat led the pack but fairly quickly got overshadowed by the Sunn Hemp. The Peas grew up the Hemp and anywhere it got enough light the Sorghum made heads.Next uyear I will back off some on the Hemp because a lot of Sorghum got shaded out.
IMG_2759_zpswtdptgjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2759_zpswtdptgjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Can't really see it but there are Pea plants crawling up many of the Hemp plants

IMG_2759_zpswtdptgjl.jpg

Right next to this was 3 AC's of Eagles with 7 lb corn/ac. This was e-fenced, which is the only way I can grow beans
IMG_1737_zpss0outhcx.jpg

Do you mind sharing your mix rates and how you planted that mix?

I will share it but it is not right, it was a hurried thing and we were slinging seed together.On 3 AC I put 50 lbs of Sunn Hemp and probably 3/4 bag each of Peas, Buckwheat,Sunflowers and Sorghum.Next year I will drop the Sunn Hemp down to about 10-12 lbs an acre and keep everything else at about 15 lb/ac.Unless fenced I could put down 50 lb/ac of the Sunflowers and they would still be gone before 6" high.I just disced this field, spread the seed and lightly disced/dragged it.No fertilizer at all since the main point was to see if the Sunn Hemp really fixes the amount of nitrogen they say it does.

Looks great. I hope mine looks half that good but I'll be using a throw and mow method so we will have to wait and see.

Cow peas are hard to beat.They don't mind a ph on the acid side, cheap, aliopathic properties, vigorous if the get a good start,quick growing , good till a frost kills them.

Back