Forest Fires

dogghr

Well evidently NC, TN, and KY have some large forest fires going and are sharing their smoke with us. The air here is filled with smoke making visibility and breathing a little tricky. My eyes are burning as I type this at the house. I have the rest of week to hunt. Luckily front moves thru tonight and I hope that helps.
About 25 years ago, we had another drought in the east much like this years. By early Oct that year, forest fires were rampant thru out the east. Smoke filled the skies for nearly 6 weeks if I remember correctly. Hunting was terrible. Daytime activity was poor , if anything. I think we even cancelled part of hunting season that year due to the fire threat.
So what are your experiences with similar circumstances?? Change in hunting tactics?? Or same ??

We had the smoke this weekend but clearing up some today. But next two days I have to be in Eastern KY working - leaving in the morning. So, I will be back in it.

Never faced a situation with smoke while hunting so no experience with that. My first thoughts are that I wouldn't change my tactics, but might change my mind if actually faced with the situation.

For those who believe that smoke significantly reduces human odor this may be quite the advantage. Depending on how much smoke you have in the area you may be able to access areas you normally would not.

Well that might be . It was smoky this morn and deer were slow to move but doubt that was issue. Front came thru and air cleared out for now. Between smoke and staying up all night watching the media eat their own crap, my eyes were shot today.

For those who believe that smoke significantly reduces human odor this may be quite the advantage. Depending on how much smoke you have in the area you may be able to access areas you normally would not.

It would be interesting to know if a blanket of smoke hinders their sense of smell. I smoke my clothes with a bee smoker and am religious about scent management. I wonder if blanket of smoke throws them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

It would be interesting to know if a blanket of smoke hinders their sense of smell. I smoke my clothes with a bee smoker and am religious about scent management. I wonder if blanket of smoke throws them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Purely anecdotal as there are large of factors…. But my Wed hunt was pretty slow with heavy smoke in the air. Aggravating to my eyes and lungs and nose and I would suspect same with and animal. Front came thru with rain and cleansed the atmosphere and Thur was a diff world with the deer with lots of action.
I suspect heavy smoke hinders their sense of smell just as other factors can, and they tend to limit their daytime movements, and perhaps nighttime also, as their ability to sense predators is diminished. I remember the weeks of fires I mentioned earlier were some of the hardest hunting I've ever done. Just my unscientific analysis.

Back