Food plot learning 2016?

Bullwinkle

Anyone do any trials? I am always looking for new ideas

I did 3

Winfred brassica vs rape. Winfred won hands down. Learned it from a QDM forum member last year. Thanks

Lynx peas in oats vs Austrian snow peas. I didn't see any difference. Oats on both were completely destroyed

When I no till drilled my sugar beets I put beets in one cup and soybeans in the next, etc. Set on really low setting to try to get 1' spacing. It wasn't perfect but a lot better than mixing. I will do again if I plant sugar beets. Weeds are a problem. You need a very clean field

This year I am going to try no till drilling soybeans into last years corn without bushogging

I did half WI winter greens vs. Cabelas brassica mix. These were planted side by side. We had our worst drought ever so results may have been skewed but WI crushed the Cabelas in growth and preference. Cabelas did put out more and larger bulbs which started getting hit when I left for the year so they ended being a nice compliment to each other.

Did not try any new seed, but did run a chisel plow over the plots after tilling. Came back two weeks later, broadcast seed and fertilizer, and then ran over plots with a drag harrow. Very little rain for weeks, but what moisture we got must have settled into the furrows created by the chisel plow. Wheat, Oats, Rye grew only in the furrows, and was ready to take off when we finally got some rain. Will repeat this process next year. Purple Top Turnips did not survive the drought!

I usually frost seed Ladino, or medium red clover into my spent brassica plots in early spring, but this year i broadcast crimson clover with my brassicas, i'll let you know in spring if i have clover!

Did not try any new seed, but did run a chisel plow over the plots after tilling. Came back two weeks later, broadcast seed and fertilizer, and then ran over plots with a drag harrow. Very little rain for weeks, but what moisture we got must have settled into the furrows created by the chisel plow. Wheat, Oats, Rye grew only in the furrows, and was ready to take off when we finally got some rain. Will repeat this process next year. Purple Top Turnips did not survive the drought!
I use to do this exact thing before I went to throw-n-mow. Worked very well and exactly like you describe with seed only growing in the furrows.

Back