Eating chestnuts

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
How exactly does one eat a chestnut? Can I eat it raw? Google says I have to peel the skin off first or roast it...is that accurate?

36982f66fa665cf1b7e6e30b18eb654a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I eat Am chestnuts raw, shell and all, when I am planting. Not a good thing but I find them hard to resist, like peanuts. The starches have to convert to sugars, after storage for a few days, to be their best.

The ones I got before to try planting I decided to taste test a couple, I put them in the microwave to get the shell to split and then popped them open.

Yes, just remove the hull and eat the nut raw. A good way to do that is split in half with a knife, and that makes it easier to get out.

They develop a much better, sweet taste if you let them just sit for a few days. Much of the moisture leaves the nut and it shrinks. You can tell when this happens by pushing on the outside with your thumb. When the hull sinks in a little, they are ready to eat. However, if you leave them too long they will get too hard and dry and not be as good.

They are fine to eat a little green, but I doubt you will like the taste. There is no bitterness, but it is just kind of a bland taste. But when that sweetness develops after a few days, its like eating an entirely different nut.

A little experimenting is all it takes, and you soon get the hang of it. I'm 61 and been eating chestnuts since I was 7 years old. I have it down pretty pat.

Last edited:
Native Hunter,

You get them eating chestnuts and I will be able to increase my rate per box. Over 25 years ago, my son picked up chestnuts in my father in law's yard. He put them in a restaurant for sale. He charged I think 4 cents each - get 25 for $1.00

Funny thing was my wife says what if they don't sell. He was under 10 years old, his reply "What If They Do" Well they sold and to people who had eaten them for a long time. Most people could tell you where their old chestnut tree was located.

Most people I know do cut them in half.

Well I forgot my one chestnut sitting on the bench at the farm yesterday, so it will have til Sunday to ripen! Thanks for the info. I will report back Sunday.

Native Hunter,

You get them eating chestnuts and I will be able to increase my rate per box. Over 25 years ago, my son picked up chestnuts in my father in law's yard. He put them in a restaurant for sale. He charged I think 4 cents each - get 25 for $1.00

Funny thing was my wife says what if they don't sell. He was under 10 years old, his reply "What If They Do" Well they sold and to people who had eaten them for a long time. Most people could tell you where their old chestnut tree was located.

Most people I know do cut them in half.

Wayne, my grandfather was the first person to introduce me to eating chestnuts. He also shared the story of how the Americans disappeared from the blight. When I was a child and we walked through the woods he would also point out old remnant pieces of rotted chestnut logs.

I like the positive attitude of your son, and he sold those chestnuts at a real bargain.

I was surprised in this thread to see someone saying that they ate the shells and all. I can't imagine doing that, but I guess it would be a cheap way to add fiber to the diet. As you and I know, once the nut it cut in half, it's usually pretty easy to take the tip of a pocket knife and work the nut right on out - maybe even splitting the flat side a little more in the process.

I thought of you this week. I passed fairly close to your town on a business trip. PM me you address and phone number, and I might give you a call sometime if I'm passing through nearby and we can get together for a Coke or something.

Last edited:
If I found them in the wild I would probably end up eating a buckeye instead of a chestnut because I have no knowledge of the chestnut wild in my area. There will be some growing here soon though.

Back