Concordia Oaks

My Concordia were sent to me by a member before the MDC offered them for sale. :cool: You know who you are, thanks buddy. ;-)

I have a few Concordia Oaks. Similar to Mattpatt's, a couple are trying some acorns this year. However several of mine, plus ones in two yards I know of, really haven't done much. Four years old and maybe 5-6 foot tall. Its certainly an interesting tree, but my straight SWO from MDC have far outperformed the Concordias.

I have a few Concordia Oaks. Similar to Mattpatt's, a couple are trying some acorns this year. However several of mine, plus ones in two yards I know of, really haven't done much. Four years old and maybe 5-6 foot tall. Its certainly an interesting tree, but my straight SWO from MDC have far outperformed the Concordias.
What type of soils are these in?
pH?
Moisture?

Rocky? Sandy? Silty? Loamy? Clay?

SWO is purported to do well in soil pH's <6.5, but it does well on my bottomland muck over clay soil where the pH is 6.8 - 7. That stock came from the WI DNR.

Chinkapin oak is purported to do well on neutral, rocky, calciferous soils.

So I'm curious which parentage Concordia oaks inherit.

According to the MDC description, these are fast growing and fast producing. How do they compare to sawtooth? Maybe I'll plant both side-by-side for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

What type of soils are these in?
pH?
Moisture?

Rocky? Sandy? Silty? Loamy? Clay?

I am guessing a silty clay about 6.5 pH for two sites. Both are within yards of cornfields that can yield up to 200 bu/ac. (also both are within 5 miles of the Concordia rest stop). My personal place is higher in rock/sand and lower pH - but I have trees that are 10 foot next to trees that are 5 foot. It may be more a function of the quality of the seedling and my planting skill.

I am guessing a silty clay about 6.5 pH for two sites. Both are within yards of cornfields that can yield up to 200 bu/ac. (also both are within 5 miles of the Concordia rest stop). My personal place is higher in rock/sand and lower pH - but I have trees that are 10 foot next to trees that are 5 foot. It may be more a function of the quality of the seedling and my planting skill.
Another member reported that moisture affected the growth rate of younger Concordia's. Sounds like both sites are a little drier? Corn doesn't like wet feet.

Back